Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

Semi-Pro Racer
    This article was here before John.
    Its by James Meale, the same gentleman who wrote the article above on your car and was in the Monaro Club Newsletter.
    He is happy for it to be linked to this thread.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/...holden-monaro/

Semi-Pro Racer
    I see in post #688 the Perana Team Gunston Capri used GW heads, something some of the local cars should think about, probably not much power increase over the modern Cast Iron stuff currently being used, but getting rid of ~40lbs over the front axles would be a help.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron Peters View Post
    Name:  SA_SS.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  123.9 KB

Awesome stories Aron, thanks for posting. This thing is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I see in post #688 the Perana Team Gunston Capri used GW heads, something some of the local cars should think about, probably not much power increase over the modern Cast Iron stuff currently being used, but getting rid of ~40lbs over the front axles would be a help.
    As I understand it these Gurney Weslake heads were developed for Fords (302 and 351). Little work was done for other makes.

They are quite expensive now, which may be a good off-putter. See attached add for a whole engine at USD 42,500.
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Co...ke-Engine.html

I love the words in the ad about another engine they have for sale, "a stratospherically rare Weslake Chevrolet 32 valve engine".

Semi-Pro Racer
    Looks very nice - wonder how it runs...........

Not wrong about "asinine questions" !

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Barry Algies HK 327 Monaro, original and unrestored , which he owned since 1974 just sold on Trade Me for $107,200 after a long brisk last minute bidding.
    The reserve was $95K and the buy now was $100,000. Car came with new panels- came from Schofields- had a new rear right guard which in itself would be a big dollar item on ebay.au
    Absolutely a brilliant collectable car, low owner, low mileage, genuine Bathurst model, that had been garaged.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1076544572.htm

Would have enjoyed seeing Barrys replies to the asinine questions asked by all the so called Monaro experts who as usual never bid.

Great car Barry, it had a lot of history, looked neat when I first saw it in 1974 in your workshop,and still looks tough and ready do the hard yards. Does not deserve to end up as a trailer queen.

Too right John, that car had some history for sure. If Barry and Ian told them all, it would fill pages on this thread.
    Luckily for them a 327 ci small block with a green Duntov could easily outrun what the revenue collectors used in
    those days. Ned Kelly would have raised a smile for sure

Hard to believe he's no longer with us RIP

Right HMC fans here are some of the photos of John's Monaro as it has progressed thru the paint shop. I loved that colour scheme in period and I think it looks just as fresh and appealing today.

Keep your eye peeled for later in the week when the colours start going on

So cool ............. well done ....thanks for sharing this from dot one , for those of us that remember the car this is very exciting to see the original car being reborn..........

I agree Grant, especially impressive when you see what John started out with. That car was in very bad shape and many would have given up before they started.

This is what the car looked like when John located it and made the purchase. Most people would have walked away saying the project just wasn't worth the effort and costs. You are a champion John.

Here is the gold paint being applied to the car. All that masking for about 10 minutes application. These fancy schemes cost money.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Shit oh dear.....that puts all the effort into perspective! Well done that chap.

Here are a couple of shots of the blues going onto the car. What is known as a slow reveal.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think there might be some 'Royal Blue' Epiglass marine paint still down in the shed, probably bought a bit after this cars time frame though.

Jac Mac- save in case theres a dust up down there.........

World Champion
    John,
    (Morrinsville. 1969 )
    Ol' Bob probably had a cigarette packet by the paint booth and eye balled the colours, Spinner would have been telling him to hurry it along and " near enough is good enough" was how it finished up !

You are doing a marvelous restoration. Well done.

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 06-04-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Jac Mac- save in case theres a dust up down there.........
    Are you going to be in the same race as Demolition Dale?

Here is the photo of John's Kawasaki 500 fuel tank.