Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
Geoffrey, it's not an exact science, but the Glass's Dealer Guide 1960 - 68 list the NSW registration plates for 1966 as DZL to EJE prefixes. So EFP certainly fits into the Crott/Geoghegan timeframe.

Geoghegan's also advertised in Sports Car World, Racing Car News and various race programmes of the era. Although more pushing their Lotus sales, than secondhand stock.

I assume you've tried the DVLA in the UK for an attempt to get the UK rego history.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen, for confirmation of the rego plate date. I've got some old SCWs from the 63-66 era (but not all), but no reference to my car - like you say, Geoghegans ads were more for new cars than secondhand. They also didn't advertise in the Sydney Morning Herald much, unlike the Alfa dealers Mildrens/Crott/Lightburn and independents like R C Phillips.

I tried the DVLA last year but they need the original UK registration (which I don't have) and said that anyway, their records no longer go back that far, following a transfer of their registry to Swansea. Same with RMS here, their records don't go back that far, even though I do have the EFP164 number. Judging from the amount of rust I'm cutting out of the sills, the car may have been in the UK longer than I first thought. Maybe it was someone's personal import in 1966 (rather than a Mildren import earlier), but that still raises the question of why bring it it in then register it just before trading it in - unless Frank Crott registered (or re-registered) it. I'm not sure I'll ever find out, which is a shame, as that's the only gap in its history.

Cheers

Geoff