Donington was a sheer disappointment to me, almost a waste of time...

However, they do have a good BRM and Vanwall exhibition and lots of modern GP cars.

Scihlumpf is unforgettable. €12 per head, you can stay all day or even get a pass-out and go elsewhere for lunch and return. There is a cafe in the building, however. Literally hundreds of pre-WWI cars, even more from between the wars and plenty of forties, fifties and sixties stuff. Not one American car at all, only four or five British cars. Where else would a Lotus 7 sit beside a 250LM?

They have three Bugatti Royales, but they consider one of them not worth counting, it's just a replica made from original parts. 4WD rally cars, the only 300SLR not owned by M-B (they had a car M-B wanted for their museum and swapped), the 1954 Bugatti GP car which had the transverse straight 8 in the back... with another engine on display next to it. That's one of the great things about the Schlumpf Museum, the many cars with an engine displayed alongside.

I went to the Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart too. There's lots of stuff there, including a replica of the high-speed transporter they built in 1954, LSR cars, aircraft engines and more. The stories are well told, but at the end of it all I was wishing to see something of another marque. For this reason, I should have gone to the Porsche Museum down the road, as Porsche would have displays of other cars that Ferdinand Porsche helped create. But while you're there, don't neglect to do a lap of the old road circuit at Solitude. Over five miles of sheer heaven!

And when you go to look at the old Spa circuit, take a drive into Malmedy and shell out €5 for a look at their little museum, some very interesting exhibits even if it is small.

I actually focussed more on the living museums, the roads still extant upon which racing once took place, especially the legendary stuff.