Page 85 of 93 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1851

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    post #1676.

Talking to Tony and Chris Watson over the weekend, that the whole Hampton Downs pre TQ, is a story just waiting to be told. I didn't expect Tony to be taking notes so soon...

I'll put my hand up to write it!
    Now that would be a story worthy of a read Ray, your new challenge I say........

PS: I need to catch up and have a chat about Goodwood, meant to on the weekend but, well, you know how it goes..

Dale M

Without a doubt the shot of the weekend was this one from Phil Noble, well done Phil.

The Hoosier Bias are absolutely incredible to race on and a great leveler for the V8 cars.......they take skill, patience and knowledge of car set up.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dale as good a shot as it is Rodg had that Camaro a lot higher than that. Using the kerbs as launch pads does that to a car I reckon he was half a metre off the ground at one point. That was a great race you guys had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    I need to catch up and have a chat about Goodwood, meant to on the weekend but, well, you know how it goes...
    Dale M
    Revival or Festival Dale?

We were going to the Festival for the Friday of this year, but another change of travel plans has ruled that out.

The Revival has to be on everyone's bucket list, though I have to say that in 2016, with only the two Austin A35 races, there were no other saloons.

The big disappointment for me, as with other major meets is that each group gets just one practice/qualifying and one race over the three days and the last race of each day is quite late. A lot of hanging about with nothing happening on track. Off track however, you could spend two days just wandering the stalls and car parks.

The major positive is just that, the off track stuff, plus superb trackside viewing - and a huge variety of food stalls!

Don't forget the HMC / HSC seminar tomorrow (20th May) at Hampton Downs at the McLaren Building Unit 3 (shed 47) starting at 11.00 am.

Great turn out for such a cold shitty day.....expected 20 got 45 so pretty happy with that. Thanks goes to the McLaren Trust for the use of their workshop with historic racing cars and other Bruce McLaren memorabilia setting the theme off nicely.

The meeting went very well with our webmaster Steve Holmes doing a great power point presentation on NZ and OZ Motor Racing history, its changes and how its linked to HMC and HSC. Thanks goes to MSNZ board member Raymond "Crunch" Bennett for chairing the meeting, he had to fly from PN to AKL and back on a shitty day. We had a questions and answers session and covered next season meetings. Straight afterwards it was BBQ and drinkee's to keep it social..........great to see new people coming on-board with the furthest traveled coming from Levin and New Plymouth. The class is building slowly and steady which is the best way I believe.

July 2017 HMC and HSC Newsletter along with Race dates

Greetings HMC/HSC Racers, Family and Fans

Our Annual AGM style Seminar on May 20th at the McLaren Workshop, Hampton Downs went down a treat with an excellent turnout. Initially we expected around 20 to 25 people but we ended up with 50 attending so well done and thanks for all those that made the effort to turn up. The weather was terrible but we kicked of at 11am sharp, the meeting was Chaired by MSNZ Executive Raymond(Crunch) Bennett who flew up from Palmerston North.

HMC Director Steve Holmes started by explaining New Zealand’s interesting Motorsport history along with Australians Motorsport History and how this relates and intertwins with HMC and HSC regulations. In fact Steve’s presentation was so superb that you could have heard a pin drop. It was full of excellent detail and not boring at all. I am sure most came away with a better understanding on what HMC and HSC is about.

Crunch then gave a short presentation and took questions from the floor. Bruce Dyer asked for a show of hands about continuing racing both groups together and everyone agreed, after all this is how the racing was in period.

After this I stood up and covered race dates, the direction of the two groups and the current happenings in Historic and Classic motorsport here and worldwide. The meeting ended after about 3 hours and we had a BBQ and drinks.

Also in attendance were our Tech Auditors Keith Hargraves and Dave Graham. These two do a great job keeping the vehicles in check and more importantly helping out new racers to HMC and HSC by sorting out the necessary paperwork. Mike Fiesst and Phil Noble help with photography and run both our Facebook pages, it was great to have them with us as was our class Coodinator Mike Wigmore. Good to see Motor Racing Legend Alan Boyle attend and explain what it was like back in those days, we certainly are spoilt in todays world.

Was also great to see some new faces amongst us, Rally car racer Greg Goudie brings along a V8 Capri this season, Jason Sabin his XA Falcon coupe, Philip Macey a XC Falcon Cobra, Graeme Bagarie 69 Mustang (drove all the way from Levin), and Doc John Elliot building a LX Torana, Craig Hyland HQ Monaro, Karl Sentch Capri V8 were all in attendance, thanks for coming guys. A Gold Coin donation was made to the McLaren Trust as thanks for the use of their workshop, it set a nice theme for the day. I’d say its most likely we’ll have an annual meeting like this after each season.

Next seasons 2017/18 HMC and HSC Race Dates
    Daylight Saving Starts, Sunday 24th September
    1. 14th October 2017, TACCOC Classic One Day Saturday - Hampton Downs
    2. 10/11/12th Nov 2017, Wellington MG Classic – Manfeild
    3. 10th Dec 2017, TACCOC Classic One Day Sunday – Hampton Downs
    4. 20/21 January 2018, Taupo Historic GP – Taupo (Wellington Anniversary Weekend)
    5. 17/18th March 2018, HRC Legends – Hampton (WON’T Clash with Beach Hop)
    Daylight Saving Ends, Sunday 1st April 2018
    6 7/8 April 2018, Great lakes Taupo – HRC – Taupo
    Meetings 2, 4 and 5 are our premier events

Dales Ramblings: I spoke about race dates and driver participation at our May seminar and I asked for driver feedback. I sent an E-mail out the week after our meeting to gauge feedback and most came back with the above dates been the most favourable. Not only do they represent the best spread over the summer, but stacking too many dates together tends to take some racers away from meetings and other summer priorities. The above dates are our official meetings.

On the technical side there has been a change in our brake calipers from Wilwood Engineering in the USA. After 35 plus years they have decide to stop making the Wilwood Grand Nation GNIII 6 Piston Caliper. They have unfortunately replaced it with a modern version of a Forged Radial mount style Caliper with mounting bracket. This puts these new calipers outside our regulations and won’t be legal to use.

In the last month or so I’ve been swapping E-mails with Wilwood’s management begging them not to do this, or just to continue making small batches of the GNIIIs. But of course little ol’ NZ doesn’t have the population to generate sales that a big American company like Wilwood is looking for. Meanwhile Wilwood said it will continue to make all its other calipers including Superlite 6 lug mount two piece caliper which will be the best alternative for the bigger HMC cars.

You can still continue to use your old set of GNIII’s or find some second hand ones. I see they’re still available new on E-Bay in the USA but once current stock is used up that will be it. As an alternative I’ve been in contact with a Australian company that can make brake calipers in small batches and possibly copy the old GNIII, I’m yet to hear back but will keep you informed once I do.

Steve Holmes is in the process of building a new Website that will have more updated information and a new look. For the HMC cars we will have, over time, regulations for every vehicle on the eligibility list and easy to understand updated regs for the HSC cars. It takes time to build all the information required for every vehicle.

For this coming season No COD will mean No entry as everyone has had more than enough time to file their paperwork, or to even update their current COD if out dated. Remember MSNZ event officials don’t except entrees without a Log book so same applies here. It pays to be organised when it comes to sorting out CODs and Logbooks so this is a reminder to do it now. http://www.motorsport.org.nz/content...escription-cod form T009 for new COD’s and form T010 to update your COD

HMC/HSC Calendars: Some of you may know that Phil Noble, Jim Lester and Allie Hogg have been working on a calendar for 2018. Phil informs me that at this time a selection of images have been submitted and hopefully this week will see some final selections made. Criteria for these selections revolve around a reasonable even split between HMC and HSC, the image quality, a representation of the different tracks/events we raced on last summer and a few of our historically famous cars. Phil informs me that the quality of images to be considered is absolutely outstanding.

Once a final selection has been made, the drivers who are sponsoring the project will get a chance to approve the images used. Once this is done Steve Holmes has kindly agreed to provide the text for the captions. Phil hopes to meet with the calendar people in the next 2-3 weeks to cover off production issues and hopes to have finalised result in about 4-6 weeks. At this stage we have received indications of interest from about 80 people who want to buy a calendar. If you are interested please contact Phil directly via email (below) or Facebook as we need to know for numbers. At this stage we can only consider NZ based supporters, but may be able accommodate orders from Oz if someone was able to coordinate it locally.

Hi Guys- Am now assembling Blue and need to know where the 351 GT badge goes on the front guards.
    Below the swedge is the black cut outs, so I need to know how high above it , and distance forward from the front door.
    Any Anoraks or helpful owners can you help please.
    The one on the rear panel I can see off google images

btw- Blue is a XA Falcon Coupe.........
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-12-2017 at 07:19 AM.

from back edge of guard forward first hole 119mm second hole 194mm
    from black out swage up 111mm to top holes
    Mid third hole just go of badge

The back badge the top is level with the start of the first loaver

Thanks so much Mark, will post results soon.

John , did you get a front bumper as I have a spare XA

Mark- Yes, please, lets talk-pm me.
    I got front and back from bottom of SI, but not a good fit

World Champion
    Could someone please identify the folks in post # 1687 for me. (A long lost Kiwi )..Thanks.

Ken Hyndman.

p.s. John,
    What does the bottom of the South Island have to do with the bumpers or is it curvature of the earth ?
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-17-2017 at 11:44 PM.

It would be like you finding the part you want for your Mini in Terra Del Fuego
    the only ones going are usually never within a petrol tanks drive of your house.
    That why it was a bargain to only have drive to Georges place to get the real spoiler for the Monaro

Post #1687..........Top pic left to right, Chris Watson, Doc John Elliot, Alan Boyle. Second pic, Phil Noble, Carl Hills, Crunch Bennett. Third pic, Tony Mexted, Dave Graham, Brian Gilbert(Levin). Fourth Pic, David Wood, Craig Hyland, Tony Galbraith, Glenn Allingham, Tania Allingham and Jane McCaughan. Fifth Pic, Kevin Gimblett, Brian Gilbert(back on) Graeme Bagarie(Levin)

Hope this helps. Dale M

World Champion
    Dale,
    Thanks so much for identifying all those for me plus I think that is you humbly in the background of pic # 1.
    Much appreciated.
    Ken H

World Champion
    Just when you thought you knew of all the rules and regulations along comes someone who does not want to give up on the idea of competing with the "Big Boys". The news of this car in NZ has reached the United States. The project is further along than what these photos show and it is awaiting its final stages of special US aircraft "stealth" paint so it will remain unseen on the radar and to the competition. It is a Morris Minor convertible especially modified to accept a high performance V-12 engine and custom exhaust system.
    Take a good look at these photos as it may be the last you see of this vehicle until it is next seen out in front of the field as the "pace car" either in NZ or at the Indy 500 !
    Name:  Moggie V-12.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  Moggie V-12.#3 PG.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  Moggie V-12.#2JPG.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  Moggie V-12.# 1JPG.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  183.4 KB

( Kiwi ingenuity at work )

Auckland rally car driver Greg Goudie will be joining the HMC ranks this summer with his recently purchased Capri V8, just recently repainted/wrapped in his business colors and looking good.

Another great addition to the group.

Love the colours on the car now and it will really stand out. Is this the ex Graeme Pearce car ?