The latest HMC Newsletter put together by Dale:

Greetings HMC Followers and Racers

First up we must congratulate Arthur Vowles, Bernie Hines and the Historic under 3 Litre T&C Saloon group for their first and successful race meeting at the HRC Icebreaker event last month. They had a great field of 15 cars with more to come. This group will be racing with HMC at the Festival of Speed January 21st to 29th and because they’re under 3L don’t for one minute think they are slow . There are some very quick cars in this group that'll give us V8 guys a run for our money, and if it rains look out(it’s not going to though).

Once again Steve Holmes has some great articles in the current issues of NZV8 and NZ Classic Car magazines (out today), always worth a read. Progress is slowly building amongst HMC with some furiously working on cars to ready them for Januarys Festival of Speed. There are several others that won’t make it and that’s OK as we are looking forward to the future, not just this one event .

As I’ve mentioned in the past, all cars must be Motorsport NZ T&C and HMC correct, we want quality not quantity. The HMC rules are based on the original MSNZ T&C Historic and Classic Commission Regulations that have been in place in the MSNZ manual since the mid 80's, this is the foundation of HMC, you guys should read it when time permits.

Once Januarys(2012) Festival of Speed is finished our follow up events will be the Tasman Revival, 18/19th Feb at Hampton Downs and the Legends of Speed, 24/5th March at Pukekohe. I’m working on one further event possibly at Manfield towards the end of summer, will keep you posted on this one, otherwise this summer will be steady as she goes.

It is looking very likely we may have several cars from the Australian Trans Am group based out of Brisbane to race with us in January. Still early days yet and a few technical issues to sort but once the final go ahead is given I’ll let you all know. To piece this together will be great for NZ and Australian Historic Motorsport and most likely instigate the old Trans Tasman rivalry wars from days gone by, gotta be good stuff!!

Several technical questions have come through in the last month which I’m very pleased about, as it means you are seriously looking at the rules http://www.grandprix.org.nz/nz-muscle-cars.wse . Sometimes to understand a wording or ruling can be difficult, so feel free to call or E-Mail myself dmathers@xtra.co.nz or Tony Roberts tony@hamptondowns.com for clarification. It can save a lot of expense and time later down the road.

One question that came up was about Carburetion, fuel injection, single or multiple carburettors. You are allowed what was raced back in the day, on your particular model vehicle or "Period" vehicle as we call it. The criteria with any "Period" intake system is that it must fit under the "Standard Series Production Bonnet" which quite often wasn't the case back in the day, but for HMC it is a "must". So you can use a "Period" Lucas Fuel Injection system on your Camaro, Corvette, etc but it would have to be a Cross Over/Lay Over system.

Another case which i saw recently at Eastern Creek was on a HK Monaro where this one particular car was running a 350 Chev in group NC and it had 4 side draught webers on a cross over manifold, the owner told me he couldn't use upright IDA webers as they won't fit under the bonnet and as the Monaro's didn't have any suitable "Factory" bonnet scoop for clearance and he isn’t allowed to modify the bonnet under the Australian CAMS Historic rules. The same applies here to HMC, all must fit under the "Standard Series Production Bonnet". Dean Camerons 65 Mustang Fastback is a classic case where upright IDA weber's fit under the correct Shelby bonnet. Why is his Mustang allowed a Shelby bonnet? Well because more than 100 where made on a "Standard Series Production Car" being a 65/6 Mustang body style of the same make and model (they made 562, 65 Shelby's).

The other odd question has been in relation to Cylinder Heads, but this is really pretty much done and dusted as there is enough information (Google) out there these days, so that you just can't get away with any "tall" stories. Of course I got asked what about Rover V8's, well aluminium cylinder heads came on them as a "standard series production car" in which a 100 or more where made!! Poor ol Rovers.

Wheels have been a subject of conversion recently with several going to 15" including myself (see attached photo). I have just imported 10 sets for this class, most are already spoken for, but you can still use your 16" wheels providing they are fitted with the appropriate 50 profile DOT tyre minimum.

Even with a 15" you must use a 50 profile DOT tyre unless you choose to use the allowable "Period" Goodyear Blue Streaks, and although we plan to revert all back to 15" in the future this will be done over a suitable period of time. When this happens your 16's can still be used as a rain tyre set, so all is not lost. As I have mentioned in the past, if you're having to purchase a wheel set now its probably best to buy 15's, several have already ordered Minilites which will look very cool on any American or Aussie Muscle car.

If anyone wants to catch up for a chat i will be racing at the MG Classic, Manfield, November 12/13th, always happy to talk Historic Cars.

Details and entry for January's Festival will be out shortly so keep an eye on their website at http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/ and please enter early. This does 2 things, helps the organisers plan the event layout and you get entry fee's out of the way before X-mas. The Marquee tents are optional but I ask all HMC racers to rent one, whether rain or shine it is worth it and keeps us all grouped together, and although this event is about BMW cars and Motorsport , it is also about Historic Race Cars in general.

Another reminder to check that your MSNZ Race Licence is up to date, if it’s lapsed you will need to resit it again!! Hate for you to turn up at a HMC event with no licence and can't race, its an item that is easily over looked.

Our HMC website is now up and running, www.historicmusclecars.co.nz and also go to www.theroaringseason.com for great Historic motorsport stuff and online forum.

Here's some great old YouTube video of what Historic Racing is all about, 3 wheeling an all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQKK...5BE01E213A968E

So that’s about it for me again this month, daylight saving is in and the days are stretching out so keep it up and keep working towards that end goal, and remember our HMC motto "The Cars are the Stars" otherwise you're racing with the wrong class, and make sure you join HRC http://www.grandprix.org.nz/Contact_Us.wse their $50 membership deal is a bargain.

Take Care

Dale Mathers
HRC Member
HMC Director
Tauranga, NZL
dmathers@xtra.co.nz
Ph 07-578-8852 anytime