Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    I understand that Steve bought the car back in the States awhile back and rebuilt it and it is painted that green and he runs it in classic events occasionally, got photo somewhere of car after rebuild.
    Yea he had family money and I did notice he was managing Verstappen, so he is still involved and hopefully can assist some young fellow in a career.

Guided him to Bennetton as team mate to Schumacher, had unfortunate collision with Brundle, Irvine and Bernard, he was blamed even though it transpired later that Brundle had broken the driveshaft of the McLaren. He ended up getting ditched and sent of to Simtek by Bennetton, replaced by JJ Lehto. But the mistake aparently from your mate was to sign his lad to Bennetton in the first place, he had an offer to be Hakkinen's teammate, the drive ended up going to Brundle.

Awesome thread here guys, keep it going!

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Millen RT1 was (unsurprisingly) retubbed between its Pukekohe accident and the 1980 Asian races

Seaqnmac27: thanks for info, Verstappen was tops in formula 3 before this wasn't he, remember seeing him in some european championship. Good info. What ever happened to him, is he still driving, suppose in that game if you don't get the right break at the time things change in a hurry.

There was a documentary some years ago about either the Millen bros or Roger Donaldson, in which Steve Millen was interviewed at a historic racing event in the US. He was racing one of his old cars, which I assume was the one above? It was painted a modern bright purple from memory. He said he had to get someone else to go buy it for him, for fear of the price escalating if he went to do the haggling himself.

But boy it sure was pretty in the Chardon colour scheme.

World Champion
    Didn't Verstappen race in NZ in FVee at some stage??

This is the 1981 Australian Grand Prix, held at Calder Park. The race features Alan Jones, Roberto Moreno, Nelson Piquet, John Bowe, Larry Perkins, Bruce Allison, Ray Mallock, Jaques Laffite, Andrew Miedecke, David Oxton, Charlie O'Brien, Geoff Brabham, our own Roaring Season member Lucio Cesario etc. By this stage Formula Atlantic/Pacific had become Formula Ralt RT4, and 13 of the 21 starters were RT4s, and all the front running cars.

World Champion
    In reference to Lyncar, I know its not quite a Pacific, but this may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQnhE...eature=related

Formula Pacific

I was fortunate to be able to take a good number of shots of these great cars and drivers. Often very good close racing too.
    Name:  RosbergP.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  141.2 KBName:  McMillan.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  116.5 KBName:  MillenSP.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  141.1 KBName:  Fabi.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  119.0 KBName:  Smith Lockup.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  109.6 KBName:  Oxton Elbow.jpg
Views: 3435
Size:  145.0 KB

Formula Pacific Photos

Name:  AURORA.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  107.6 KBName:  Baypark82.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  130.9 KBName:  Baypark Pacific.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  93.0 KBName:  Marlboro.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  117.1 KBName:  Millen Baypark.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  134.1 KBName:  Campbell Pacific.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  120.2 KB

That shot of Kenny and Oxo turning left at Puke brings back memories - what a race! I watched from the bank on the inside of the corner and this was a classic example of two drivers who trusted each other going wheel to wheel. I've spoken to both of them about that race in recent years and both recall it with great affection.

By the way - was there ever a better colour scheme for a Ralt RT4 than the blue Pye livery of #18?

Not so far! That did look good. Pacific/Atlantic had its' detractors (what's new ?) but without it, we may not have been privileged to see The Great Rosberg, Rahal, Fabi, Jones, Berg and co, and a fleet of upwardly-mobile Anzacs. Let alone the squad of mechanics, managers and gophers able to get a toe in the door overseas....

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    That shot of Kenny and Oxo turning left at Puke brings back memories - what a race! I watched from the bank on the inside of the corner and this was a classic example of two drivers who trusted each other going wheel to wheel. I've spoken to both of them about that race in recent years and both recall it with great affection.
    I agree with everything you say, except that I spoke to them both immediately after what, for me, had been one of the best races I'd seen (I was in what passed for a press box - the grandstand opposite the pits)

And not forgetting Roberto Moreno GD66...or Danny Sullivan.

David my personal list of great Pacific races would include, in no particular order:

Bay Park January 1978 - Millen v Rosberg
    Pukekohe long track - Smith v Oxton
    1982 NZGP - Moreno v Millen

And how many know that Tom Blackaller brought his Pacific car out here to drive in 1983 or 84? He was one of the top America's Cup skippers and the one who was responsible for starting the "why would you build a 12 metre in fibreglass unless you wanted to cheat" scandal.

"OOh Dennis, I wouldn't have said that," said TB having led Conner into it then neatly sidestepping, leaving Conner to wade into the muck. Very well done politically and of course a defining moment in NZ's sailing history.

TB died of a heart attack driving a Pacific car in 1989, a sad loss of a great character. One of those people who brought colour into sport and one who loved driving his Pacific car as much as sailing.

It bought out some characters alright. One with different coloured hair who liked to play with fire sprinklers, Mr Flux was a hard case. And as you say Shano, Blackaller was a very handy driver as well as a skipper. Another who went on to Formula 1 was Andrea De Cesaris. The Pacific era bought some very talented people to our shores and also gave some of our talent exposure against the best, and this most certainly helped them in later years with career paths, both drivers and mechanics/team people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post

TB died of a heart attack driving a Pacific car in 1989, a sad loss of a great character. One of those people who brought colour into sport and one who loved driving his Pacific car as much as sailing.
    I think Tom died practicing for a IMSA race in a Swift DB2 Sports 2000. A very colourful man.