Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian.Maskell View Post
    Im not sure how many cars were built the same way as mine. I was given the impression some years ago, the car stretched the rules but really have no idea. part of the story I have is that the car was a little late getting on the grid for 1980. In any case in building the car, the car body was inzipped at the junction of the floor pan and the sides, and the floor pan lifted 2 inches (50mm) to effectively lower the RL of the roof by 2 inches. The suspension top positions have been "turreted" and the tunnel enlarged to acommodate the drive shaft and exhaust. As with most cars the motor was set back the 12 inches but I changed the fire wall to create more room to improve access for mgearbox removal. I will post some phots to show some detals of the car if anyone is interested. Equally, I would be interested if there are any other survivors (being still raced) from this era.
    Yes thats how I remember it ,incidentally I became very familiar with the gearbox removal on that car over those Summer meetings,some weekends I was doing two gear box changes a race weekend ,then having to rebuild them both over the next week in readiness for the following weekend,NZIGP meeting I changed them between heats and remember we just dropped it down off the stands in time to join the cars as they were driving out of pit gate
    Last edited by bob homewood; 11-06-2011 at 04:23 AM.