I was lucky enough to get to know Ron quite well over the last decade or so, and I even went to visit him at his home in Arizona. He was an accomplished racer and driver. He raced at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, as well as all across the US and Canada. He raced in NZ, and had a contracts as a test and development driver in Japan. He raced in everything from SCCA club racing in his Porsche Speedster in the early 60's to Can Am, Trans Am, F5000 and right through to Historics and he did a lot of winning.
As a person he grew up in Southern California, he had a degree in Engineering Ron had a great sense of humour and as far as I could see he was liked and respected by just about everyone who knew him. He shared a lot of great memories with me, some racing, some private. Later in life he was a flyer with his own planes, and aerobatics was a a love of his particularly in his Pitts, and there are great stories about that too. After the racing Ron became a writer, in motoring and aircraft magazines and if you get the chance, read his material. It is very well written and informative. Through Ron I got to know a lot of his friends, some very well known people from racing and the print and photojournalist arenas. I will miss him as will all his friends, but none as much as his family who were all very close.
RIP my friend, it was a privilege to know you.