Thread: Levin and Cabbage Tree Corner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Ron Frost created New Zealand’s first permanent international car racing track here in 1956, foreseeing the need to move on from our temporary circuits on open roads and aerodromes. His vision, confidence and enduring contacts back in England were largely responsible for the acclaimed Tasman Series being established in 1964. This attracted the world’s finest Grand Prix drivers to New Zealand and Australia throughout the rest of that decade. Every Formula 1 world champion between 1959 and 1971 raced at Levin at least once during that period and the town benefited greatly from the thousands of fans who flocked in to watch them. ( " Heritage Horowhenua".)
    He also set up the NZ Driver to Europe program that sent Bruce McLaren, Denis Hulme and George Lawton on their way to race in Europe. He worked with Australia's Geoff Sykes to bring the very best drivers to race here in Australasia and I look back and realize how grateful I am to have been around during that era.
    As I read Ron's biography here I think it would have made a wonderful movie script.
    https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/pro...ROST%20Ron.pdf

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-23-2022 at 08:17 AM.