Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Coppins

Hi Steve, here is what John Riley said in a 1971 interview about the two Mustangs. He still owned the Fahey Mustang at this time, but had raced the Geoghegan/Coppins Mustang in the 1968/69 season:

"Its (the ex-Fahey Mustang) a nice car to drive, far better handling than Rods (the ex-Geoghegan Mustang). It goes through a corner so much quicker it isn't even funny. I used to wonder how two comparable cars (Rods and Pauls) could be so far apart on the track. Paul was always so much quicker. In the early stages when Rod first bought that car I thought it must have been Rod himself, but since I've driven the two cars myself..... The difference in unbelievable. The Fahey car had wider wheels, and probably a lot more work done on the suspension. The motor was better also. The Coppins motor had a very early model roller cam which used to make a beautiful exhaust note but it never had the same torque or power as the Fahey car. I like driving Faheys car however. Its a good car".

Thanks Steve. I also was told the story of the hand over of the car. It was first hand information. It is good to read what John Riley said. I have always had a driver ranking in my head, formed from watching drivers, rather than the cars since i was old enough to go to the track with Dad. To my way of thinking some drivers did well simply because they had the best equipment available. Some of the fields we saw in racing, were made up of people who could afford to race. Some of the drivers had real ability, many are overrated and remembered as being better than they may have been. Its like rich kids buying drives in Europe. Are they actually the best most talented kids in the world?. We may never know. I am NOT saying anything here about any driver in particular. Rod's poorer performance than expected in this car, is now explained by John's comments.

Yep, I agree 100% Steve. To me thats always been the biggest criticism I have of motorsport. Unlike almost every other sport, talent alone is not enough to achieve success. Deep pockets and/or strong sponsor backing are essential. So much talent has never been fully realised over the years because of a lack of funds.

This is an article by Rob Wilson in the autoNEWS May 25th 1970, it gives a good impression of who Rod was as a person and as a racer.
    I will post the pages individually.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Yes, a well-thought out writeup. I agree that there was a perception for a while that he wasn't quite on the pace, and that incident at Lakeside when Geoghegan drove the car and set hot lap times didn't help. But I felt he continued to grow in confidence and skill, and as I said to an old sparring partner the other day when discussing it, I can't recall Coppins blowing up or crashing, so there's a key to chasing a championship right there.

That`s a good article Bruce, you must have quite a bit of info on Rod!

Indeed, I bet you wish yours was half as good.

The above article was supplied by Steve Elliott, from his private , but substantial collection.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    That`s a good article Bruce, you must have quite a bit of info on Rod!

Great thread for a great driver.

Be great to see some photos of his time in the Chargers - an E38, an E49, and perhaps even a brief stint in a VJ E48.
    Last edited by J42E48; 12-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.

OK, here is one I found in the Steve Elliott collection. Hot Rod Coppins, with sponsorship from the NZ Hot Rod Magazine among others. Rod had some great success in these Chargers in production class racing.
    Does anyone know where this car is now ?

Awesome photo Bruce, haven't seen that one before. I can confirm that E49 is alive and has been very well cared for.

I have a couple of this car so will post up.

Sorry I cannot credit the photographer as I dont know who it was. Got these ones of the E49 from off the web. It may also be after Rod's time with this car?

Heres a couple of the E38 he raced. Unsure of a date for these two or who was drving on this day but the car looks pretty fresh at what looks like a time trial / hill climb?

Car number 27 is Paul Hammond from Taihape competing in the 1975 Glenvale 200 Trophy Race. Bay Park August 3, 1975.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The RH Rear Tyre on #27 in post #97 looks like its about to take early ' Retirement ', pun intended....