Thread: Ken Miles and CSX3002 427 Competition Cobra at Lakeside 1965

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am fairly sure that the Ron Thorpe 289 was at Lakeside that weekend but for some reason did not run in the actual Tourist Trophy race,perhaps he did not wish to enter the main race or maybe had a problem. The circuit at that time was a little rough and the Miles 427 suffered rear suspension failure apparently due to the rough nature of the track. I have never heard or seen a more impressive race car than that awesome 427 competition Cobra, it litteraly blew the other cars to the weeds when overtaking them. I believe the whole exercise in sending the car to the southern hemisphere was essentially a PR flag waver funded by the FoMoCo. The Ron Thorpe 289 ran with the windscreen and hardtop whilst the 427c ran as a roadster. I remember Ron Butler wearing the Shelby team uniform and Ken in his racing overalls and both where real gentlemen.RIP.

Just a little aside. I recall that Jim Hall was starting to use 'Data Acquisition' (in conjunction with G.M.) around about 64-65. It was very basic at that stage and required using a Nagra reel to reel tape recorder and pulse generators on the wheels and drive shaft. The 'pulses' from each sensor going to a different track on the tape that could be analysed later.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    I am fairly sure that the Ron Thorpe 289 was at Lakeside that weekend but for some reason did not run in the actual Tourist Trophy race,perhaps he did not wish to enter the main race or maybe had a problem. The circuit at that time was a little rough and the Miles 427 suffered rear suspension failure apparently due to the rough nature of the track. I have never heard or seen a more impressive race car than that awesome 427 competition Cobra, it litteraly blew the other cars to the weeds when overtaking them. I believe the whole exercise in sending the car to the southern hemisphere was essentially a PR flag waver funded by the FoMoCo. The Ron Thorpe 289 ran with the windscreen and hardtop whilst the 427c ran as a roadster. I remember Ron Butler wearing the Shelby team uniform and Ken in his racing overalls and both where real gentlemen.RIP.
    Thanks, that clears things up some re the Thorpe Cobra. I was trying to figure out if the pics Bruce sent me of this car were from another event.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 4658
Size:  90.9 KB