Thread: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    Thanks for posting up those fantastic photos pallmall!!!

Do you or anyone else know what's the current story with the ex Petch Whittakers RS500 - does Petch still own it? It still looks in very good condition - From memory the last time that car raced was in the 1992 Nissan Mobil Series with Greg Murphy & Kayne Scott -which they won I think.
    Mark sold the car a couple of years ago to Andy Greenslade in Tauranga, who ran it at the BMW Festival at HD earlier this year, the first race since the NM500 1992! It is basically as it last raced, and unrestored. As you correctly stated, Kayne Scott and Greg Murphy did drive the car in 1992, but it did not win. I think top 6 placings in both Wellington and Puke was as good as it got.

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Mark sold the car a couple of years ago to Andy Greenslade in Tauranga, who ran it at the BMW Festival at HD earlier this year, the first race since the NM500 1992! It is basically as it last raced, and unrestored. As you correctly stated, Kayne Scott and Greg Murphy did drive the car in 1992, but it did not win. I think top 6 placings in both Wellington and Puke was as good as it got.
    Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.

Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.
    At the 1992 race Paul Radisich was driving the DJR Sierra with a guy Michael Preston. They did quite well at Wellington, finishing second. They qualified second at Puke, and Radisich probably had a good shot at the win, except Preston was very slow, and pretty much killed their chances. They finished third I think, behind Brock/Cros and the winning M3 of Pirro/Winkelhock. This was enough to give them the series win. The Schnitzer car of Pirro/Winkelhock had led Wellington most of the race, then blew an engine, handing the win to Longhurst/Morris. Then Longhurst/Morris were looking good for the series win, lying secoond at Puke, and their engine blew with only 6 laps to go.

The Brancatelli crash was 1990 I think? The ex Brock car you are talking about ended up back in England I think,and was changed back to its original Rouse colours.

Conrad
    Last edited by conrod; 05-22-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I believe I have an old 1995 NZ Autocar magazine that has an ad of this car for sale.
    I think I was told it ended back in the UK repainted in its original Andy Rouse livery.

Looking for something else and came across this shot of the Peanut Slab Sierra at Pukekohe.

Name:  Sierra Peanut Slab.JPG
Views: 2081
Size:  36.0 KB