Thread: NZ Half Litre Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    The Mini-Max, later run by John Pettit and Ross Hollings, was built by Max Rutherford in New Plymouth

The McDonald car was callled the Mini-Minus, and later just The Beast. It was said to be Cooper-based, but the late 500 guru Max Fisher claimed it was a special

David- Thank you for this gem.Now I see it in front of me , I remember it was The BEAST. And Merv seemed positive it had Cooper origins. Thank you for your clear memory on this.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes. You are correct (as usual) David. My apologies if I put anyone wrong. And apologies to Max Rutherford for not giving him the credit for building the "Mini Max".

Yes. You are correct (as usual) David. My apologies if I put anyone wrong. And apologies to Max Rutherford for not giving him the credit for building the "Mini Max".

Thanks for that correction David.
    For the record the MiniMax ended its life in the Nelson/Blenheim area and the owner used it on speedway (It was built as a duel purpose car) in Christchurch until they banned rear engined cars so he chopped it up and dumped it! When I contacted him some years later to see if I could restore it for our Vintage Speedway Club he was just as up set as me that he had done that! Max Rutherford

The MiniMinus / Beast

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The Mini-Max, later run by John Pettit and Ross Hollings, was built by Max Rutherford in New Plymouth

The McDonald car was callled the Mini-Minus, and later just The Beast. It was said to be Cooper-based, but the late 500 guru Max Fisher claimed it was a special
    Photos of the MiniMinus/Beast taken over a few years showing how much it changed from 1975 to 1979

Name:  MiniMinus  Chamberlain Rd 1975.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  Beast Hunua Sprint 77.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  Beast2 Hunua Sprint 77.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  The Beast Jones Rd 79.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  139.3 KB