Thread: Interesting Video Clip of "Abes Babe" testing a Baypark.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, good memory Jim, I'd forgotten one of those Pinepac cars became a Sports Sedan. I can't recall if it was the first or second car. From memory the new owner (was it Rex Findlay?) fitted larger flares, repainted it red, and might have even fitted a 351?

Speaking of which, the Dick Johnson Mustang which Robbie Kerr bought was also converted to a Sports Sedan.
    I bought this car off Bruce and Wayne and all the spares. Gave the car it's first ever win which was at Baypark. This car was never a Sports Sedan and I raced it here in NZ in Group A for a number of years. This is the original Mustang from Aussie and the Anderson Bros built the Number two car up later. which suffered at the hands of Charger Sports Sedan driver Graeme "Gladys" Addis when he wrong slotted the Gettrag gearbox into 1st gear at railway Corner of the B & H track at Pukekohe badly damaging the car into the flaggies point...then again as a practice leading up to Wellington Street Race Wayne Anderson put the car onto its roof at Manfield. This is the car that Rex Findlay had.........Robbie Kerr had the Green DJR car which was was hot rodded with bigger 9 inch diff flares etc and later to be restored back to original and on sold. Robbie and I had some real head to head battles and I was happy to say that I ended up quicker by one hundreth of a second....one of the best cars I ever owned. Oh and the quickest time I had round Baypark was a 60 dead....Puke was a 62.4 on the Old GP track..... Just recently sold by Kiwi star Brett Maddren in Australia for Aus$175,000 ! Regards, Tony Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    I bought this car off Bruce and Wayne and all the spares. Gave the car it's first ever win which was at Baypark. This car was never a Sports Sedan and I raced it here in NZ in Group A for a number of years. This is the original Mustang from Aussie and the Anderson Bros built the Number two car up later. which suffered at the hands of Charger Sports Sedan driver Graeme "Gladys" Addis when he wrong slotted the Gettrag gearbox into 1st gear at railway Corner of the B & H track at Pukekohe badly damaging the car into the flaggies point...then again as a practice leading up to Wellington Street Race Wayne Anderson put the car onto its roof at Manfield. This is the car that Rex Findlay had.........Robbie Kerr had the Green DJR car which was was hot rodded with bigger 9 inch diff flares etc and later to be restored back to original and on sold. Robbie and I had some real head to head battles and I was happy to say that I ended up quicker by one hundreth of a second....one of the best cars I ever owned. Oh and the quickest time I had round Baypark was a 60 dead....Puke was a 62.4 on the Old GP track..... Just recently sold by Kiwi star Brett Maddren in Australia for Aus$175,000 ! Regards, Tony Rutherford
    Thanks Tony. They were good looking cars those Mustangs. Both the Anderson cars now race in Historic Group C/A in Aus, restored back to the Picepac livery. I remember one of them being for sale on Trademe approx 7-8 years ago for about 35K, seems their value has gone up quite a bit since then!

There was another Group A Mustang that raced in NZ, a white one owned by Bruce Flemming. I wonder where this car is now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Tony. They were good looking cars those Mustangs. Both the Anderson cars now race in Historic Group C/A in Aus, restored back to the Picepac livery. I remember one of them being for sale on Trademe approx 7-8 years ago for about 35K, seems their value has gone up quite a bit since then!

There was another Group A Mustang that raced in NZ, a white one owned by Bruce Flemming. I wonder where this car is now?
    When I rang Robbie Kerr in Wellington to tell him to come up to Puke and race I told him to get hold of Bruce Flemming along the way...citing that I had made the trip to Manfield to run against them as a bit of a push a long....they both turned up Robbie in the Green Muzzy and Bruce in the Police liveried car. Although Bruce ran in Group A his car wasnt as speced as Robbie and my cars. He didnt have the single nut wheels, on board jacks, dry brake fuel set up etc. So I dont really know what happened with this car ....does anyone out there perhaps know?? Thanks Steve. Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Weekend Warrior
    The Mustang you are talking about has been owned by Steve Ross for a few years.I think it the Kramer / Davidson car from Australia?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm not sure how this car fits with the Mustangs being dicussed here, but it might help fill a blank in one car's history.

Name:  GpA Mustang.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  176.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Tony a PinePac ran with us quite a few times ,what year did you run it ,must have been after 87???

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Tony a PinePac ran with us quite a few times ,what year did you run it ,must have been after 87???
    Yeah I am pretty sure you may be thinking of the Pinepac XE Falcon when they were trying to get more mileage for Wayne Anderson under his belt...I will try and get the dates Jimbo. Stand by caller. Regards as always Jim...Tony Rutherford.