Thread: 2013 Phillip Island Classic Motor Races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Perhaps someone could explain to me the significance of this car? I'm a bit confused by it. The name on the door says Colin Bond, but it has the race number 7, with its class designation next to the number. Class designations were only displayed in Series Production until the end of 1972, and were dropped for Group C in 1973. Also, in Series Production, car numbers were based on the class they competed in, working upwards from Class D. So a Series Production Class C car wouldn't normally have such a low number. It'd usually be in the 20s, at least. However, the non-factory Mawer wheels suggest Group C, as these wouldn't be allowed in Series Production. Help! This is too confusing for my tiny brain.

Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  64.9 KB

7C, 24C??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Perhaps someone could explain to me the significance of this car? I'm a bit confused by it. The name on the door says Colin Bond, but it has the race number 7, with its class designation next to the number. Class designations were only displayed in Series Production until the end of 1972, and were dropped for Group C in 1973. Also, in Series Production, car numbers were based on the class they competed in, working upwards from Class D. So a Series Production Class C car wouldn't normally have such a low number. It'd usually be in the 20s, at least. However, the non-factory Mawer wheels suggest Group C, as these wouldn't be allowed in Series Production. Help! This is too confusing for my tiny brain.

Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  64.9 KB
    Steve, just to confuse things even more this car belongs to John Anderson (based in Queensland) and is a rebodied Series Production car driven by Bond in 1972 AS 24C...it had a double double life and in the last few years has been displayed as the 72 Bathurst car (with Mawer wheels??>>??) forgive me I don't know why.
    It spends considerable time at Ian Tate's workshop and at the wheel you'll find Stephen Tate (son of) who was campaigning the car in (from memory) regularity at this years Phillip Island event with number 24 being obviously already taken. The 'C' has just been left on instead of being removed for Regularity..I have the 40C car as pictured above...... while i'm on to you - what's the update on the Cossack Warrior has/is the restoration underway of my hero car when growing up over there in NZ....Cheers TM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Car Events View Post
    Steve, just to confuse things even more this car belongs to John Anderson (based in Queensland) and is a rebodied Series Production car driven by Bond in 1972 AS 24C...it had a double double life and in the last few years has been displayed as the 72 Bathurst car (with Mawer wheels??>>??) forgive me I don't know why.
    It spends considerable time at Ian Tate's workshop and at the wheel you'll find Stephen Tate (son of) who was campaigning the car in (from memory) regularity at this years Phillip Island event with number 24 being obviously already taken. The 'C' has just been left on instead of being removed for Regularity..I have the 40C car as pictured above...... while i'm on to you - what's the update on the Cossack Warrior has/is the restoration underway of my hero car when growing up over there in NZ....Cheers TM.
    Oh, brilliant! Yes that absolutely makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Re the Cossack Victor, I'm not too sure where Craig is at with its restoration. He is currently in Queensland, where he'll be racing his AMC Javelin at Lakeside this weekend, with the Historic Muscle Cars/Australian Trans-Am combined races. But he is a member on here, and will hopefully update us when he gets back.