Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    I've checked Alleggerita and Mildren No.1 came to Australia in November 65 and was sold to Gordon Stephenson in October 1966. Overtime the GTA was turned into a sports sedan (probably how it lost its firewall) and then suffered a major accident. Not sure if the wreck survives.

The RHD GTA, chassis no. 762561 (I think!) arrived in Australia in August 1966 to replace the LHD GTA. Not sure of the rationale, though the LHD GTA's major races were at Sandown (6 Hour) and Bathurst (66 ATCC) which were both anti-clockwise, whereas the RHD GTA's major races were at Warwick Farm and Lakeside (67 ATCC) which were clockwise circuits.
    Thanks Paul. Certainly no great gap in the LHD GTA going West then. I wonder whether it went there just like some of the Neptune cars going West or to Tassie for events then getting sold there. Essentially meaning the Neptune/Tridents/ Shell drivers didn't have to race against their old cars.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    Thanks Paul. Certainly no great gap in the LHD GTA going West then. I wonder whether it went there just like some of the Neptune cars going West or to Tassie for events then getting sold there. Essentially meaning the Neptune/Tridents/ Shell drivers didn't have to race against their old cars.

Stephen
    Not sure about the theory. Remember the second Mildren car went to John French who could certainly steer. Though by that time Mildrens were busy with Alfa V8 engined single seaters and GTV production cars and had moved away from exotica like GTAs and the TZs (1 and 2).

They seem to like their exotic Alfa Romeos in the West. There are a few Italian/Australians out there as well as a couple of serious collectors.

Paul
    Last edited by prn31; 08-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.