Thread: NZ GTHO Phase 3's that raced in Production Series....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Ernie owned & raced a 1970...71 [green] phase 2 car was only raced in the south Island , not sure if any were in the NI at that point , I do remember it raced in SI GTX series & super car races only other I think was Jim Kennedy,s that was a GT SI car from Greymouth...... soon after that the ph 3 s came in ..........................

I had a vague recollection of an image of Ernie in a Falcon from the late Kevin Thomsons photographs, however I was wrong it was Pat Monaghan, Ernie was in a Pacer sponsored by the Terminus Hotel. Unfortunately this was one collection that he had not let me copy and post here, this is the link to it, some great pics in here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southsp...7629217101298/

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I had a vague recollection of an image of Ernie in a Falcon from the late Kevin Thomsons photographs, however I was wrong it was Pat Monaghan, Ernie was in a Pacer sponsored by the Terminus Hotel. Unfortunately this was one collection that he had not let me copy and post here, this is the link to it, some great pics in here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southsp...7629217101298/
    Thanks seaqnmac for pik of the pacer & ho etc I might add I do remember the deal between Pat & Ernie , Ernie & Pete [pumpkin] went down to Gore to deliver the ho & came back with the Pacer , coming home to [Timaru] doing the usual 100 mph plus flat to the floor , in thie middle of the night raining !!!!! , I saw the Pacer in the morn with both sides completely dented the story goes as they were going through those S bends north of Wiamate, they found wondering across the road a mob of sheep .... bang , Ernie of Peter took the ear tags off some sheep [with ears???] as proof for ins ,a bit off the track any way Ernie wanted desperately to beat Pat at levels in the changed cars I think he did as the ho was a bitch for over steer & more suited for the pacer etc , could have been a good road trip story , later Pat sold the car to John Gillard , John runs the twin towers over at the Mount [ Tga]...
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 09-25-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Thanks seaqnmac for pik of the pacer & ho etc I might add I do remember the deal between Pat & Ernie , Ernie & Pete [pumpkin] went down to Gore to deliver the ho & came back with the Pacer , coming home to [Timaru] doing the usual 100 mph plus flat to the floor , in thie middle of the night raining !!!!! , I saw the Pacer in the morn with both sides completely dented the story goes as they were going through those S bends north of Wiamate, they found wondering across the road a mob of sheep .... bang , Ernie of Peter took the ear tags off some sheep [with ears???] as proof for ins ,a bit off the track any way Ernie wanted desperately to beat Pat at levels in the changed cars I think he did as the ho was a bitch for over steer & more suited for the pacer etc , could have been a good road trip story , later Pat sold the car to John Gillard , John runs the twin towers over at the Mount [ Tga]...

Grant, talking with fella last night who was saying that years ago he had bought Ernie Spragues HO (green) and had run it at Bay Park and also dragged it against Bowater at MereMere back then. Can you remember who Pat sold it too.
    Believe this guy as he has done a bit in old days but just wondering about history of car.