Thread: Holden Monaro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Make a suggestion- could be Sylvester Monaro. They did two, one for the circuit,other for Speedway. Try Grant at Sylvester Spares-he could help.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Make a suggestion- could be Sylvester Monaro. They did two, one for the circuit,other for Speedway. Try Grant at Sylvester Spares-he could help.
    Don't recall a speedway car, thought it was one drag racer & one circuit racer, Neil Stuart might know, anyone have contact with him? IIRC it was a darker purple or even dark blue along with green & white colours on those SPCS Monaro's.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 04-05-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Don't recall a speedway car, thought it was one drag racer & one circuit racer, Neil Stuart might know, anyone have contact with him? IIRC it was a darker purple or even dark blue along with green & white colours on those SPCS Monaro's.
    The second Monaro was sold by Silvester to a guy surname George whose first name escapes me right now.

I think it was sold as a shell or rolling shell and I did some work on the rear suspension for him. He was building it up as a circuit car, I'm not sure if he ever raced it. Previous to that he had raced a standard road going Lancia Beta at club level.

He was a guy from Chch who was initially a builder, then had a joinery business, then bought a dyno and set up a tuning business in Bromley. Last I heard he was driving a taxi but probably well retired now. None of his ventures seem to last long and maybe his ownership of the Monaro was another passing phase. I don't know if he ever completed it. I'm sure someone will remember it if it ever appeared at Ruapuna. As I recall it was still painted in the SPCS colours. The purple in the photo would be about right for the SPCS colours. I can't remember exactly when I was involved with it but maybe around 1975ish

Edit: Just remembered, his name was Roger George. Took a wee while for all the brain cells to connect up. Again!
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 04-05-2014 at 06:56 AM.

I can't see this HK mentioned on this thread, wonder where it ended up?

This photo is Jim Palmer from Nelson? at Ruapuna, I believe the car went to Ron Rutherford who did a few races before using it in the Heatway Rally (not sure what year)