Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Pukekohe. 1968 NZGP.
    Towards the end of the GP there was a tremendous crash between Denis Hulme and Laurence Brownlie in their Brabhams. They were both lucky to survive but Laurence suffered serious ankle injuries.
    I have had this cutting which is ironic in that it shows Laurence Brownlie waiting beside his Brabham # 20 as Denis Hulme was being presented an award for being the 1967 Formula One World Champion before the start of the NZGP.
    Peter Yock's white Lotus -BRM # 10 is being pushed to the start grid also.

Name:  Pukekohe 1968_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  Pukekohe 1968_0001_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  181.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

p.s. who is the driver standing behind Brownlee with the brown cap on ?
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-21-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Pukekohe. 1968 NZGP.Towards the end of the GP there was a tremendous crash between Denis Hulme and Laurence Brownlie in their Brabhams. They were both lucky to survive but Laurence suffered serious ankle injuries.

Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.
    Name:  Hulme Brownlie.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  Pukekohe Race action - accidents  CCI20072015 (3) (376x640).jpg
Views: 997
Size:  153.9 KB

GD66, article from the " 30 years of Grand Prix Racing, again ..
    Have read a few comments [ this one is non-committal for either driver ]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Name:  Pukekohe Race action - accidents  CCI20072015 (3) (376x640).jpg
Views: 997
Size:  153.9 KB

GD66, article from the " 30 years of Grand Prix Racing, again ..
    Have read a few comments [ this one is non-committal for either driver ]
    Ken Wharton was killed during the 1957 sports car race at Ardmore, due to stupid officials not heading and accepting the advice of drivers. I attended the briefing.

It was ruled that slower cars of limited performance should move to the right and allow faster cars room to pass on the left.

Wharton a top of the line international driver, as a matter of habit set up a normal passing move after exiting a corner, only to have a slower car, correctly obeying the stupid rule, move over and obstruct him to the extent that he ran out of room. An absolute needles disaster.

Wharton was a real driver in every sense of the word and better than many who gained greater fame. I remember seeing his right shoe, which had been found in the Monza Ferrari by the subsequent owner and hung in his garage. It was a perfectly normal piece of everyday footwear and during modern times I find this specially significant.

Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.
    Name:  Hulme Brownlie.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  60.0 KB
    Hi. I was on the railway at this moment. Hulme had shaken his fist coming past the pits (yes it could be seen from where we were) and just prior to this photo had just thumped Brownlie with his left front wheel quite hard. At this very point both cars were quite unsettled and then shot on down the straight to tangle further on with body panels, wheels and dirt flying high in the air.