Thread: Does anyone know what happened to the Barry Wearing 67 Z28 SS Camaro, sold in 74-75

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Thats PK751 ...Beecheys old one. The chap that owns Perf. Ignition Systems (Scorcher) has it.
    Should have triggered when you said #4...... Neptune Blue....you must have had rose coloured glasses on....lol
    There are a couple of replicas of it around as well.

John Reaburn you mentioned .....
    John was also a Humpy driver of some renown.
    He went onto Open Wheelers and ran with the best of them. He did a lot of racing in Europe
    probably culminating with LeMans 24 hour in a GT40.....a real one.
    Last edited by Ellis; 09-09-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Reaburn bit added

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Thats PK751 ...Beecheys old one. The chap that owns Perf. Ignition Systems (Scorcher) has it.
    Should have triggered when you said #4...... Neptune Blue....you must have had rose coloured glasses on....lol
    There are a couple of replicas of it around as well.

John Reaburn you mentioned .....
    John was also a Humpy driver of some renown.
    He went onto Open Wheelers and ran with the best of them. He did a lot of racing in Europe
    probably culminating with LeMans 24 hour in a GT40.....a real one.
    Thanks for clearing that up Ellis, you certainly do have to be careful believing what you read at times. There was also a car sold recently on Australian Muscle Car Sales that claimed to be a spare Brian Muir car to the one that raced at Bathurst, again not sure if thats correct or not.

John was certainly great to talk to, he mentioned racing GT40's in the UK, how cool would that have been. It certainly sounds like he had an interesting racing career, it would be good for someone who knows more to start a thread on it.

I had a fantastic chat with Graeme Blanchard tonight, he contacted me after reading my Muscle Assist article in the current Australian Muscle Car Magazine.

He confirmed that he brought the car with the 396 big block engine although it was in a pretty poor state at the time. The block had been welded in a number of places to repair damage, I recall in the NZ sale advert for the car it had a couple of damaged crankshafts and used conrods in the spares list which might explain the bottom end damage as described by Graeme.

Graeme initially raced the big block for a while before changing it for the 350ci engine, he recalled it went like a rocket on the straights but lacked stopping power, he even mentioned with pride out dragging Moffat in the Coke Mustang on the straight at Warwick Farm in one race although Moffat got him easily under cornering.

Seems Moffat also protested against Graeme running rear disc brakes in the Tasmanian ATCC round at Symmons Plains in 72? He wasn't a happy chappie about it either.

Interestingly he also mentioned the car was white with the red centre stripe when he brought it from Terry, all he did at the first race was to add his name on the guards as can be seen in the AMC article photo. I presumed he had painted the red stripe but that's not the case. The photo's of the car in early 71 when Terry last raced it were all white with the Castrol side stripes.

Sad to say those special quad webers and crossover manifold were stolen off the Camaro shortly before he sold it to Lakis Manticas, they broke into the shed and took the lot, the car was then sold with the holley setup. It was also sold as a complete running race car which means the running gear was stripped out of it by Lakis before being then sold as we know to Barry Wearing as a roller.
    Last edited by nick_tassie; 09-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tassie View Post
    He confirmed that he brought the car with the 396 big block engine although it was in a pretty poor state at the time. The block had been welded in a number of places to repair damage, I recall in the NZ sale advert for the car it had a couple of damaged crankshafts and used conrods in the spares list which might explain the bottom end damage as described by Graeme.
    Maybe this photo from Oldracephotos.com explains the damage to the 396 big block, looks like some serious oil smoke after a possible engine problem at the 71 Symmons Plains ATTC round, Symmons Plains is renound for creating oil surge with the high speed sweeper and hairpin, it must have been a big problem in the early days before dry sumps. I noticed Graeme Blanchard ran the car with a dry sump system.

Ellis can you recall the damage that Terry sustained in this photo?

http://www.oldracephotos.com/shop/pr...1#1677HAllan72