Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
I didn't start this discussion to stir things up but I am happy the way the discussion has developed. I also posted in the HSC thread rather than HMC because it is specific to FIA HTP or Sched K regulations.

My understanding of those regulations is exactly as Steve suggests, if you can categorically prove it was done in period (specifically in an internationally recognised race or series) then it is allowed. On that basis, the original tubbing of the Broadspeed cars is allowed because the current owner and/ or restorer can and will prove it. Which is not to say that the proof is widely available to other car builders or restorers!

On the other hand, the horsepower that some "historic" cars now have is a huge issue in historic racing in the UK and certainly has the potential to occur here. The suggestion of declaring the power outputs and benchmarking them to what was achieved in period has considerable merit.

Possibly the requirement of running the correct gearbox has the unintended benefit of keeping horsepower in check but not always.
No Howard, your posts definitely don't come across as stirring, and you have posted on the correct thread. While HMC has its own unique set of rules which bare little resemblance to Appendix K, for people wanting to build an HSC car, they have an option of either using Schedule T&C, or Appendix K. And we're trying to encourage them to go with the Appendix K rules. After all, for anyone building a historic race car, why wouldn't they want that car to be completely period correct, as per the original homologation sheet? And why wouldn't they want a car that they could take and race anywhere in the world rather than something that only has a place in NZ?

Five years ago very few people in NZ had an understanding of FIA Appendix K rules, but as more people such as yourself, Grant Sprague, Paul McCarthy, Paul Berkahn etc build cars to these rules, the more others will begin to grasp how the rules work. And the more we talk about these rules, the more people will understand them.