Thread: Coppins Pontiac, come on Bruce!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Bruce. When NZ switched to its Schedule E regulations from circa 1973, teams were allowed to fit much wider wheels than they were allowed previously. Up to 14 inches wide. Some teams such as PDL Racing used McLaren Can-Am/F5000 wheels, but Dawson and Coppins obviously switched from their Minilites to the wheels pictured above.

I imagine there were very limited options for wheels this wide back in the early '70s.

How did you come to own the Span wheels? Were they with the car when you bought it?
    The Span wheels were part of the deal when I bought the car, they are the actual ones Coppins raced on.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    The Span wheels were part of the deal when I bought the car, they are the actual ones Coppins raced on.

Bruce.
    Are they alloy or magnesium? I assume they're alloy.

There were quite a few NZ cottage industry businesses making wheels during the late 1960s and early '70s. They were usually a cheaper and more accessible alternative to the expensive products being produced in other countries. Graeme Addis was another one making wheels around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Are they alloy or magnesium? I assume they're alloy.

There were quite a few NZ cottage industry businesses making wheels during the late 1960s and early '70s. They were usually a cheaper and more accessible alternative to the expensive products being produced in other countries. Graeme Addis was another one making wheels around that time.
    The Span wheels are aluminium, so not that light , I had some 15" x 14" or 15" on a T bucket back in the early 80's and they were magnesium, no name so could have been locally made.

Bruce.