Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
Would the D.Caldwell in the Allfa Romeo be related to Bill and Alastair Caldwell ?
I saw this that Alastair had written about his High School third form class which was I think, in Hamilton.
Can you imagine having a class like this !
Besides Alastair Caldwell there was;
" John Muller who became Chief Mechanic of Brabhams and worked at McLaren;
Graham Lawrence who became a Formula 2 driver over in Europe and New Zealand Gold Star Champion;
Howden Ganley who became a Grand Prix driver;
Jimmy Palmer who became New Zealand Gold Star Champion;
Robbie Francevic who became a New Zealand Saloon Car Champion;
Pete Kerr who became Chief Mechanic at March, and then Jackie Oliver’s outfit;
Steve Millen, who became a professional racing driver in America and Australia.
From this one school in one little town we had these guys who influenced motor sport all over the world."

Wow..

(Ken H)
I believe Dave Caldwell came from Glen Murray, as did Ron Roycroft and Johnny Mansel - Wairamarama is just down the road. No relation to Alastair or Bill, but Alastair might be able to invent one.

Robbie Fran(i)cevic I understand was educated at St Paul's College, Grey Lynn, lived nearby at Surrey Crescent.
Steve Millen was born in 1953, on Auckland's North Shore. This was about when Palmer, Ganley, Lawrence might have been third-formers at Hamilton Boys High - don't know about the others. If this was a detective story, someone might be asking, at this point, if the defendant might like to reconsider any parts of his statement.

Your quote is from an article by Simon Taylor in 'Motor Sport' Magazine of December 2014, and on the cover there is a comment "I cleaned up at McLaren... then invented ground effects! .. p90." Not sure they believed it either.

Stu