Thread: Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Hockey Stick

[QUOTE=ERC;72308]

Name:  220_0209_015 Ariel.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  150.9 KB

The hockey stick as shown in the photo, does not guarantee an accurate recorded time and deciding a winner and depends on the starter placing it uniformly in front of the wheel for each competitor. The first inch or two travel takes longer than one would expect. Some 65 years ago, I built communication and timing equipment for the Northern Sports Car club and took this factor into account.

Brings back memories of the task task of setting things up at every speed event and in particular a specific hillclimb at Ostrich Farm Road.

At a pre-event committee meeting, we decided that this time there would be no delay in getting things started. We set up everything the night before, and for good measure I slept overnight in the club caravan. On waking early in the morning, from within the caravan, I checked the cable which we had run down the hill, and was horrified to find an open, as well as a short circuit. I learned that sheep love plastic and a short length run inside a fence had provided breakfast. LOL, but not at the time!

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;72314]
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post

Name:  220_0209_015 Ariel.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  150.9 KB

The hockey stick as shown in the photo, does not guarantee an accurate recorded time and deciding a winner and depends on the starter placing it uniformly in front of the wheel for each competitor. The first inch or two travel takes longer than one would expect. Some 65 years ago, I built communication and timing equipment for the Northern Sports Car club and took this factor into account.

Brings back memories of the task task of setting things up at every speed event and in particular a specific hillclimb at Ostrich Farm Road.

At a pre-event committee meeting, we decided that this time there would be no delay in getting things started. We set up everything the night before, and for good measure I slept overnight in the club caravan. On waking early in the morning, from within the caravan, I checked the cable which we had run down the hill, and was horrified to find an open, as well as a short circuit. I learned that sheep love plastic and a short length run inside a fence had provided breakfast. LOL, but not at the time!
    Trevor, " The Hockey Stick "- story - would like to put that on the Northern Sports Car Club thread - would also like to know a bit more about the NSCC Hill Climbs.

I knew or have learnt a bit about the Clubs Roads - and to put them in order
    Ostrich Farm Road
    Birdwood Road
    Wharepapa Road

later Cosseys Farm - 1967 on - when I had just joined the Club

Birdwood and Wharepapa have got information from Bob Homewood, supported by others.

Would enjoy you relaying any more stories and details.

Cheers

Roger

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;72316]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post

Trevor, " The Hockey Stick "- story - would like to put that on the Northern Sports Car Club thread - would also like to know a bit more about the NSCC Hill Climbs.

I knew or have learnt a bit about the Clubs Roads - and to put them in order
    Ostrich Farm Road
    Birdwood Road
    Wharepapa Road

later Cosseys Farm - 1967 on - when I had just joined the Club

Birdwood and Wharepapa have got information from Bob Homewood, supported by others.

Would enjoy you relaying any more stories and details.

Cheers

Roger
    Roger, as a result of your comments, you have encouraged me to think about a thread to be titled, "Bits and pieces from days gone by", so watch this space. LOL