Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

I guess Cliffs forman of that time would have all the info
    His name was Grant, cannot remeber his second name ,
    but I nick named him ( YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN )
    as he would always ended a sentence, with YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN .Markson

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    The green one had a very nice 1275cc but I doubt it was a spec that would have justified Lynn Rogers being involved. I must confess to liking all the different Cobras, for different reasons. My issue with the Wasp is that they were trying to include a detail they didn't have room for and it just looks too small and cramped. The initial styling was a great success in my opinion. There was a complete kit sold cheap 18 months ago, I wish I'd bought it!
    Totally agree. cobra is fantastic BUT needs the size to pull it off. Use too much flares and nose on a tiny car like the Ibis and it just could not pull it off. We went through many nose designs and I recall many hours of sweat trying to come up with something that would take height of a mini motor without being too long in front overhang or having huge gaping nose. I put a cross bar through the grill and two tone paint on mine to brake up the mass of the nose opening.

Hi All
    I had a nice long chat with Patrick Harlow today, who had come up from Wellington. I wish him every succsess in the publishing of his new book, and ask every like minded petrol head or enthusiast, in this forum to give him, there deseving support.Markson

Name:  sportcar 002.JPG
Views: 1829
Size:  86.4 KBName:  sportcar 003.JPG
Views: 1726
Size:  82.0 KBHello . can anyone help me with this cars identity .. fibreglass body ,front of the vehicle looks like bugeye sprite without the eyes . i would say possibly austin 7-10 running gear , maybe ford . .. reason for this presumption is the narrow wheel track short wheel base . looking at the moulding it certainly looks to have been from a mold and not a one off . sorry about the pics its in an awkward area to photograph . any help or suggestions would be apprieciated. . location south island .. Iwas thinking of making a hillclimber out of it with motorbike engine ..

Looks very like a Tiki fiberglass body - maybe three were made.
    Bill Ashton & Ted George from Dunedin and/or Christchurch were involved

Kiwi G, I see that New Zealand Fiberglass Ltd. is owned by Ted George ( George & Ashton ). Business address is 109 Morrin Road, Panmure, Auckland.

That's lovely! Definately a Tiki if Graham Vercoe's book is correct. The same source says they were designed for Ford 10 mechanicals. None of my business but you could make something fantastic and collectable with a period build. Not sure the design is really congruent with a bike engined theme...

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Kiwi G, I see that New Zealand Fiberglass Ltd. is owned by Ted George ( George & Ashton ). Business address is 109 Morrin Road, Panmure, Auckland.
    Vercoe's book said an unfinished Tiki was offered in 1989 by Ted George's estate...

I have an inkling the doors are missing. Measuring the wheelbase as it sits would give a clue. I very nearly bought a Tiki a very long time ago from a car dealer in Great North Road. I would be somewhat surprised if there were only 3 made, but????

Doors aren't missing believe it or not! Will hunt up a picture...

Thanks guys .. ive spent hours and hours trying to source what it was . Ford 10 makes sense for a period build .. the motorbike engine idea was only if I couldn't source the maker or history... anyone have a pic of a tiki finished. The guy I got it off was in chch and didn't know what it was .. I saw the cantwell puma and thought it may have been an early version but apart from basic looks nothing else was the same .. I could be interested in selling if a genuine buyer was interested ..but that's not why I bought it .. any information will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Doors aren't missing believe it or not! Will hunt up a picture...
    Thanks paul

My apologies/thanks to Graham Vercoe for 'borrowing' this content....

There aren't any doors - it's a short wee thing!

That's it .. wow .. awesome . restore coming up . it looks cool .
    thankyou Paul and Graham vercoe.
    Last edited by kiwi g; 08-17-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: ADDED CONTENT

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi g View Post
    Thanks guys .. ive spent hours and hours trying to source what it was . Ford 10 makes sense for a period build .. the motorbike engine idea was only if I couldn't source the maker or history... anyone have a pic of a tiki finished. The guy I got it off was in chch and didn't know what it was .. I saw the cantwell puma and thought it may have been an early version but apart from basic looks nothing else was the same .. I could be interested in selling if a genuine buyer was interested ..but that's not why I bought it .. any information will be welcome.
    Funny you should mention the Puma. I saw a neat looking car on a rooftop in Lyttelton - made more mysterious by the fact the building doesn't look to have vehicle access! The Puma was the first car I thought of but it didn't quite feel right, then the Tiki popped into my head but I've never heard of it being developed into a coupe. Whatever it is, I think it's neat! Doeas anyone know what it is? I'm sure once Patrick sees it he'll enlighten us!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi g View Post
    That's it .. wow .. awesome . restore coming up . it looks cool .
    It looks very cool. Good find!

looking at the rear of that coupe and the way the rear arches suddenly hump up. i would say its the same as my roadster . but im no expert .my photo of the cars side makes it look flatter in the profile than it really is . the front guards have quite an arch to them like the coupe does. too .

I am officially an idiot. Looking more closely at Vercoe's book there is a picture of a coupe Tiki right next to the picture above! The text saying 'two versions' should have been a clue but I thought the picture belonged to the car in the other column - which would have meant it was a Tojeiro Jaguar! Oh dear!

It hasn't got the scalloped side though, which is strange...

that pic of the coupe beside the roadster isnt right . fronts wrong and so are the rear quarters .. the red coupe is correct tho .

Very cool, it was ancient memory! Paul, when did you take those photos in Port? My old house is clear in the background!
    The photos from Vercoe side on seem to be 100E hubcaps.
    Is the coupe photo supposed to be one of the Tiki, or does it refer to the text above it?