Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The Fairlane no longer exists.
    Yes i know the fairlane no longer exists its in the same boat as the original custaxie,i was just putting a view across if someone built up a fairlane and Robbie came along with one with his name on it where would the first build stand.

Semi-Pro Racer
    This is where the COD becomes a can of worms...for instance, lets say I decided to build a copy of the Fairlane for example, just because I felt like it. To ensure that I was 'first' I would have to apply for the COD in advance ( if indeed that is possible ). Then MSNZ would at least be aware of my intentions. OR what if Robbie or the original owner/builder was to 'hear' of that & decide to do so themselves, & were able to do so at a pace faster than I, who gets priority then?

I could use the same scenario on my old cars where I know that some later parts have been used, doesnt worry me a bit, but others that look at it often comment how different it is now from when it raced in its time, but its got a COD, so who is wrong?

As I said, its all a big can of worms & only a revenue gathering exercise for MSNZ, or a conspired value increase tool for those that insist on having it.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 09-22-2013 at 02:35 AM.

well i suppose you could start your own series as seems to happen just for you and custaxie and copies

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    This is where the COD becomes a can of worms...for instance, lets say I decided to build a copy of the Fairlane for example, just because I felt like it. To ensure that I was 'first' I would have to apply for the COD in advance ( if indeed that is possible ). Then MSNZ would at least be aware of my intentions. OR what if Robbie or the original owner/builder was to 'hear' of that & decide to do so themselves, & were able to do so at a pace faster than I, who gets priority then?

I could use the same scenario on my old cars where I know that some later parts have been used, doesnt worry me a bit, but others that look at it often comment how different it is now from when it raced in its time, but its got a COD, so who is wrong?

As I said, its all a big can of worms & only a revenue gathering exercise for MSNZ, or a conspired value increase tool for those that insist on having it.
    I would say if you got all the paper work and the bull shit that may come with this to them first, it would go to you they may say you have a set time to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    I would say if you got all the paper work and the bull shit that may come with this to them first, it would go to you they may say you have a set time to do this.
    We are wandering of in tangents gents. There is enough groups/class's that we can all go and have a bit of fun. Get the paper work that's needed (not really agreed as needed, but this has been going on for years with MSNZ) get the car to specs, (this sounds easy with what I can figure, brakes) and get out and have some fun driving it and give the motorsport public something to watch and appreciate.
    They sure loved the few that were at Hampton the other week. I heard some young fellows who were looking at the cars mention to the tune of, "these are awesome mean machines" when the boys went out to play. That's what its about, fun for you and the people.

I loved watching and listening to the 'Custaxie' at Hampton a couple of years back, it was awesome, as the song says 'History repeats'

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    We are wandering of in tangents gents. There is enough groups/class's that we can all go and have a bit of fun. Get the paper work that's needed (not really agreed as needed, but this has been going on for years with MSNZ) get the car to specs, (this sounds easy with what I can figure, brakes) and get out and have some fun driving it and give the motorsport public something to watch and appreciate.
    They sure loved the few that were at Hampton the other week. I heard some young fellows who were looking at the cars mention to the tune of, "these are awesome mean machines" when the boys went out to play. That's what its about, fun for you and the people.

I loved watching and listening to the 'Custaxie' at Hampton a couple of years back, it was awesome, as the song says 'History repeats'
    Couldn't agree more Rod, a shame to see thread on this exciting new series at risk of being hijacked by discussion that has had more than enough oxygen. After all George's efforts and first up ACC meet, I would much rather be talking of how the class can grow, encouraging & supporting.Glass is more than half full thanks to George and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Couldn't agree more Rod, a shame to see thread on this exciting new series at risk of being hijacked by discussion that has had more than enough oxygen. After all George's efforts and first up ACC meet, I would much rather be talking of how the class can grow, encouraging & supporting.Glass is more than half full thanks to George and friends.
    You dont know what you are talking about,no one is hijacking anything.Go and have a look at what george put up #417,Jac Mac was only asking if he was first to start a build thats all.I take my hat off to what George and others have done to get this new class up and running and wish them all the best.

well guys perhaps I can waylay a few of your concerns here. Anyone who wants to run in NZHSS will need to obtain a set of our rules before they do anything. They will then see all the requirements not just the COD for vehicles to be able to run in the class. CODs for this class will have to be based on a period between 62 & 88 that the vehicle was raced in. Then once the COD is obtained it and the car will be checked by the 3 old wise men on the committee (who have been around a year or 3) who will use phrases you don't often hear nowdays like "common sense" and "If its fair" and so if it all adds up they will be invited to join the club and participate in the racing. So Basically I guess you guys are going to have to have a little faith in us, but to be fair we haven't done too bad so far. So get your cars, genuine or reps to the track and have some fun with all the rest of us because its just going to be great!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    George, you have explained away my concerns much better than I was able to try in my post, I was concerned that the COD was going to become the governing guideline so to speak. But with a system like the 3 wise men things should be much clearer to all. Only other point I can see is the possibility of several versions of the same car- for example multiple DJR Mustangs as at your first meeting( yes I realise they were not all competing)- but will that type of multiples of any one car be allowed to continue to compete in the future.

Hey Biscuit..... Come over and look at my new project...And pick up your Sidchrome badge for your Overalls. Will make a pot of tea. Catch up on some goss and solve the worries of the world......Hurry! Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Pot of tea, yea right. You got any TUI badges as well

Well Jac Mac with the example of the 2 DJR mustangs if you look back to the photo of the JPS car back in Aus you will see the white car there as well because he had 2, so there is only 1 replica of each car but yes there will only be allowed 1 replica of any car and that will be on a first come basis. Being a Ford nut I would love to see a rep of the Clyde Collins Cortina, Boss 302 engine and all !!!

By the way, anybody planning a replica to run in NZHSS needs to get in touch with us, the manz COD dept and put it on this forum to make sure there aren't any double ups and to help clarify the build. Common sense really! whoops there's that saying again, Doubt if any Twistys would know what it means. lol

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Well Jac Mac with the example of the 2 DJR mustangs if you look back to the photo of the JPS car back in Aus you will see the white car there as well because he had 2, so there is only 1 replica of each car but yes there will only be allowed 1 replica of any car and that will be on a first come basis. Being a Ford nut I would love to see a rep of the Clyde Collins Cortina, Boss 302 engine and all !!!
    What about Robert Bartleys mk3 cortina,i understand it is in someones shed anyone know.

Wow, I'm surprised the Bartley Cortina has survived? Thats good to know. Does Robert Bartley still own it?

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    I'd heard a few years ago Clyde and his son were building a replica of this car, but I'm not sure how far it progressed, and if its still happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised the Bartley Cortina has survived? Thats good to know. Does Robert Bartley still own it?
    Thinking back it may have been Robert Bartley himself who said somewhere on the net that it is still around and in someones shed.Bruce Robert from Palmy also raced this car at one time,i will go and ask him who he sold the car too, he may know where it is today. I did see a photo of the car sometime back with the left back of the car pushed right in may be still like that today, will see what i can come up with and get back.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Clyde Collins replica i think there is a very good replica being built by the owner of Franklin boat builders who owns and races the Fordina that is black that Clyde Collins built some years back.I have seen a photo of the car in the build and all looks very good.
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 09-24-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: correction

It is with regret that with only 3 entries (George Sheweiry, Dennis Running, Roger Davis) for Pukekohe for NZHSS that we have canned the 2nd round of the new series. Graham Addis had concerns over the new barriers siting that if his car was to come off it would be totaled by the new barriers and also didnt think it would be below pukes draconian noise levels, Robert Jack also after being fined for 2 db over was not going to go back. A few days after the inaugural race meeting at HD I emailed the 18 other people who said they wouldn't be at the first meeting but would be running at the next or as soon as they could and asked them if they would be at round 2. I got 2 replies both saying they were busy on that day. Others I talked to also indicated that part of the reason they wer'nt running was because of the db limit that they seem to be able to pass at HD but not at puke and also the barriers and the chicane. Oh dear Puke, how does a race track survive without race cars?? So while I regret that people who wanted the new class don't seem to be bothered to use it. I feel I need to point out that my promise to get these cars a class up and running and to have the required number of cars for the first round was achieved and that was important to me as I am a man of my word. It is up to the others who gave me their word, to get their cars to the track and keep this going!! It would be sad after the effort that was put in for it to fall over. I have never been able to understand why people just casually agree to do things that they have no intention of doing. Disappointing really. George.
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 09-26-2013 at 11:33 PM.

George, you are just at the beginning of great class revival, all credit to you. When TransAm died up here in USA in the 70s the cars seemed to slip away into obscurity but now we are seeing good fields hacking a track again at vintage events.