Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Coppins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    The front of the Camaro sits quite high, almost what you would expect if a small block (350 for example) replaced a big block (396)

Bruce, John, thats a very cool picture!! whats its time line, very late 60's maybe? and taken at Bay Park as well.

Luv the 3 dune buggys in the back ground and is that another yellow Monaro behind the people standing on the grid behind the red/orange Monaro?

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 07-31-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Dale, this was July 12 th 1970, the Glenvale 100 for production cars. The beach buggies look like they were used for parade laps. Someone who was there will know.

Brian Scobie and Charlie McIndoe both ran Monaros, That's Grady Thomson in a bronze HT 350 and Jim Palmer in the Sebring orange HT 350 on the front row with Innes/Coppins Camaro.

Jim Palmer also ran a pale yellow/lemon Monaro too. He had a photo on the wall of his sale room of him coming over Rothmans at Pukekohe with a Jag alongside, Buchanan I think. Not a bad photo if I do say so myself!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 07-31-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Clarity

The front of the Camaro sits quite high, almost what you would expect if a small block (350 for example) replaced a big block (396)

Note the strap keeping the bonnet down on the orange Monaro. Just "Hol-den together"!!!!!!

World Champion
    [QUOTE=Bruce302;31404]The front of the Camaro sits quite high, almost what you would expect if a small block (350 for example) replaced a big block (396)

[/QUOTE

So the Palmer Monaro is the one that ends up in Steve Dymands hands. As is shown in this shot posted by Dale in the Mystery NZ racing photos thread.

Name:  mc6es5.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  23.4 KB
    Last edited by seaqnmac27; 07-31-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Isnt it funny, the number plates absolutely give it away- well spotted. Glad I got this pic and posted it .

Wow! What an awesome photo! Thanks guys.

That would have been an earlier HK 327 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Jim Palmer also ran a pale yellow/lemon Monaro too. He had a photo on the wall of his sale room of him coming over Rothmans at Pukekohe with a Jag alongside, Buchanan I think. Not a bad photo if I do say so myself!

This is by Ian Peak. Coppins is pictured in a drag race off the line with Red Dawson and Paul Fahey.

Name:  Wigram Coppins,Dawson & Fahey.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  99.5 KB

Have just read Classic Car number 215 December 2008- article says that Spinner had imported a 1969 Camaro with a 6489cc (396 ci) top of the range, factory performance optioned motor in it, and was to be used in Standard Production races. Car was later sold to Australia according to my information source.

This is a cover of the Shell 100 saloon car race held at Levin Sept 16th 1972. Rod and his good friend Robin Tanner bought matching E 49 Chargers. Rod of course was very successful in production races.
    This comes courtesy or markec (Mark Coultard)

I was discussing Rod just today - recalling it was 1983 that he died. The question came up - how old was he when he passed away?

Rod was born in '39, and was just 43 when he passed away.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I was discussing Rod just today - recalling it was 1983 that he died. The question came up - how old was he when he passed away?
    Rod was 43 years old when he died Michael, there are a couple of photos of his headstone earlier on in this thread.

Sorry Bruce, we must have been answering at the same time!

Awesome shot here by Bill Pottinger, which Bill sent me after I posted the short article on Robbie Francevic's 427 Fairlane last week. This is at the Loop at Teretonga, in early 1968. Paul Fahey and Frank Bryan have just shot past in their Mustangs. Here Rod Coppins in the ex-Pete Geoghegan Mustang leads John Ward, Barry Phillips, Francevic in the big Fairlane, and Tony Lawrence (brother of Graeme).

Name:  2013-04-26_41.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  83.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Awesome shot here by Bill Pottinger, which Bill sent me after I posted the short article on Robbie Francevic's 427 Fairlane last week. This is at the Loop at Teretonga, in early 1968. Paul Fahey and Frank Bryan have just shot past in their Mustangs. Here Rod Coppins in the ex-Pete Geoghegan Mustang leads John Ward, Barry Phillips, Francevic in the big Fairlane, and Tony Lawrence (brother of Graeme).

Name:  2013-04-26_41.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  83.8 KB
    Steve, this must have been one of the last times John Ward raced this Cortina in NZ as he lost his life in it at Catalina Park in Katoomba NSW when him and Rod took both cars over to Aussie to race.

Yes absolutely right Steve.

Name:  img042.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  168.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by J42E48 View Post
    Great thread for a great driver.

Be great to see some photos of his time in the Chargers - an E38, an E49, and perhaps even a brief stint in a VJ E48.
    Found this old photo of Rod Coppins in his E38. Probably Pukekohe i think.