Thread: Sport cars of yesteryear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Brent raced it with the Jaguar engine. His "Special" claim to fame was when he raced it in the sports car races at Wigram and then fitted a type of hardtop to it and raced it in the Allcomers saloon car class later in the day.

He and Leo did get a bit of a hard time from Team Timaru over that but it did show that they were innovative.

Someone must have some photos of it at that meeting, it was a bit hard case looking.
    Didn't the Lycoming do something similar, but 3 classes? I heard a rumour way back when that it ran without guards in the singleseater class, guards on in the sportscars and a roof for Allcomers. Then again rumours are not always too correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Didn't the Lycoming do something similar, but 3 classes? I heard a rumour way back when that it ran without guards in the singleseater class, guards on in the sportscars and a roof for Allcomers. Then again rumours are not always too correct!
    I can't remember it running as a saloon but it did run in both the single seater NZ Specials class and as a sports car at many meetings just by as you say, adding the guards