Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

World Champion
    Phil Kerr at Silverstone. July. 1973. Listens with Jody Scheckter as Jackie Stewart explains his methods of driving through Woodcote Corner.

Name:  Phil Kerr 1973_NEW.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  180.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-23-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: .

World Champion
    I found this site on Phil Kerr also that leads to parts of the wonderful documentary "Trio at the Top" (TVNZ 2001)which I can watch over and over about a wonderful era in New Zealand motor racing regarding McLaren,Hulme and Amon.

http://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.c...pole-position/

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-14-2015 at 03:20 AM.

World Champion
    Grant, I found this film of Ardmore in 1958 on YouTube. Check it out at the 50 second area. Is that possibly Ernie slinging the Renault Dauphine through College Corner and out onto Hangar Straight ? (It is a bit hard to see and no sound but it is a little something of 1958 )

(Ken Hyndman )

Was that the pulse jet Cooper on that video that's on Trademe at the moment?????

World Champion
    Chaindrive,
    I have tried to scan the page regarding the jet car from the 1958 GP programme. If you want a clearer image I can email it to you. OK ?

Name:  Ardmore 1958. Pulse Jet Cooper_NEW.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  179.6 KB

( Ken Hyndman )

Ken......Thanks for that. See Trademe

Thank you Ken all very interesting ....once again never seen these before just fantastic ..........

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    Ken......Thanks for that. See Trademe
    chaindrive,
    Can you send the link in Trademe as I could not locate it....Thanks. Ken

Hi Ken...............Looks like the listing is now off.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The car is currently owned by Ian Garmey of Auckland. It is a Mark 5 Cooper with a JAP 500 engine.

World Champion
    The 1957 NZGP was sadly overshadowed by the death of English driver, Ken Wharton in a preliminary sports car race.

The first race I ever attended was the 1959 NZGP at Ardmore. I have some faint memories of the noise and smell of racing fuel, waiting in long traffic lines especially when leaving. It was a hot day and I do remember seeing for the first time a young woman in a leopard skin bikini walking by and my dad clipping me on the ear and telling me to concentrate on the racing ! It was all a bit much for a young fella from Kiwitahi ! I also remember seeing Stirling Moss sitting up in his Cooper and steering with his feet and waving to the crowd on the last lap as he was so far ahead of Jack Brabham.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-17-2015 at 08:59 PM.

World Champion
    7 th New Zealand Grand Prix. Jan 9th 1960

Name:  1960 NZGP.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  177.5 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-17-2015 at 09:37 PM.

World Champion
    The early grand prix always had good races for the motorcyclists and some well known riders participated. Here is some information and an entry list from the 1960 Grand Prix programme. As you will note in the prize money one did not get rich on the day but the experience and being noted would have been invaluable.

Name:  1960 # 2.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  1960 # 1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  113.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-17-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    The early grand prix always had good races for the motorcyclists and some well known riders participated. Here is some information and an entry list from the 1960 Grand Prix programme. As you will note in the prize money one did not get rich on the day but the experience and being noted would have been invaluable.

ATTACH=CONFIG]28127[/ATTACH]

Name:  1960 # 1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  113.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Jon [ ithink right spelling] Hempleman now resides in the Leigh / matakana area & does fish & game smoking, often have a beer with him in Warkworth, still a good story teller & enjoys a pint, fit as.

World Champion
    The supporting races had some well known names in them as you will note in these race events. January. 1960.
    First for the saloon cars.

Name:  0771_001.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  Event 8.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  160.2 KB

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ? ( I have since found what the De Joux was. )
    Was this the converted 1951 Ferrari 375 that was built into a sedan by DeJoux and then later
    converted back into a single seater and then owned by Bernie Ecclestone ?
    Or did he race his Holden Special in this race ?

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-19-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    The supporting races had some well known names in them as you will note in these race events. January. 1960.
    First for the saloon cars.

Name:  0771_001.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  Event 8.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  160.2 KB

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ?

(Ken Hyndman )
    Hey Ken, the De Joux I am familiar with had a good looking fiberglass body with Mini running gear, something you should buy if you can find one, would be a great promo for Moss Motors!

World Champion
    Grant,
    You caught me out on that one. I should have done my homework ! I did not realize what a genius Ferris de Joux was. Thanks for the tip for Moss Motors !
    Check us out sometime ..... http://www.mossmotors.com/.. The stories section has some good "stuff".

(Ken)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-19-2015 at 12:01 AM.

My father in Event 2, #92 Singer 9 ......

Semi-Pro Racer
    I doubt this particular De Joux was one of the Mini-based cars-it's capacity is listed as 2171cc which is a bit big for a BMC 'A' series motor. Can anyone shed more light on it?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    I doubt this particular De Joux was one of the Mini-based cars-it's capacity is listed as 2171cc which is a bit big for a BMC 'A' series motor. Can anyone shed more light on it?
    This is " Wikipedia" information on the early cars for Ferris de Joux. I would say from the engine cc that it was the Holden Special he was driving at Ardmore in January 1960.

"Early cars[edit]

de Joux's first car was a 1936 Austin Seven Ruby. He removed the body, designed and built a fibreglass body for it. Possibly New Zealand's first. Internationally de Joux is perhaps best known as the designer and manufacturer of a series of fibreglass bodies for Buckler sports cars. One of the first Buckler's to his design was Ivy Stephenson's.

From there he created a Holden Special followed by a Ferrari Special. Jack Brabham commented that the Ferrari was the best non factory built car he had seen and offered him a job. de Joux declined.

de Joux bought the Ferrari 375 that José Froilán González drove and won the 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone from New Zealand racing driver Ron Roycroft. He converted it into a Gran Turismo that looked like a genuine factory built Ferrari road car. It was an exquisitely proportioned car used by de Joux daily for the next four and a half years until he sold it. The car was restored back to a single seater by a Christchurch classic car enthusiast and is now owned by Bernie Ecclestone.

In 1962 de Joux and Auckland mechanic Kevin Lamb made two deJoux Gran Turismo cars. The GT's look like a cross between a Maserati A6G and an AC Bristol Zagato with 1950's and 1960s styling.[1] Also around this time De Joux is thought to have designed the Orchid, a 1960's period racer, molded by The Australasian Motor Works. Among several sports racers de Joux built was a Ferrari-Jaguar combination - called the Ferraguar.[2] "

______________________________________________________________________________

This is all new to me and that is why I love this site.
    (Thanks Mr. Steve Holmes, we will be forever grateful for "The Roaring Season" and allowing us to "let it rip")
    (Ken Hyndman )