Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    The Ching body was run as a Mistral by Wayne Sattler {Taranaki??} ,he did 2.16 in prac..at Manfield fastest car did 1.36 David Childs Buckler.races next day was on the Ohakia airfield 1982?
    This is my picture of the Ching. Another car in the too hard basket but perhaps somebody knows something else.
    Name:  John Wilson6.JPG
Views: 2067
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-12-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I remember the first time I saw one of these, parked outside the little corner shop near where I lived. I was just a kid and my friend and I just stood there gawping, thinking this must have been fastest machine ever built. Then the owner jumped in, started it up, and the VW Beetle motor chugged into life, and I couldn't have been more disappointed! But boy, they are a pretty car.
    Below is a sample picture of the Mararn I am using in my book. A very tasty example now powered with a Toyota MR2 back end. Had a resonably quick ride around North Shore in it. Now for sale on Trade Me.

Name:  P Harlow- Mararn of Steve Clare 6.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  130.3 KB

There was only one Ferris. a small built man but a genius ,he could make anything even complete armour suit for a pomy soldier a beautiful Buggatti chair,had to smile one day Ferris discussing some thing with Neil Frazer when some big chap horns in and takes over,Ferris moves around him and continues his discussion right in front of him!1Had to admire him with parkinson now troubling him quite badly drilling a line of rivet holes along the side of the Maserati sp. Margaret came out to see how he was making out,and asked hows he doing ?I told her a bit crooked but ok !!Well you would have to be there to understand then again he had a good sense of humour,We were at Puke a day after BOOBS on bikes parade down Queen St. when Jan Mc. walks past carring a crash hat Ferris asks wasnt the parade yesterday?? real cool,Jack Braham tried hard to take him to UK but he prefered NZ

Semi-Pro Racer

Ferrari

Name:  Ferrari 1a.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  144.8 KBName:  Ferrari 2a.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  148.4 KBName:  Ferrari 3b.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  146.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    Would you be interested in sharing those pictures with me?
    I'm not sure what I still have knocking around but you are welcome to any and all of them. S4lotus7 at hotmail.com
    Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 05-12-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?
    J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    There was only one Ferris. a small built man but a genius ,he could make anything even complete armour suit for a pomy soldier a beautiful Buggatti chair,had to smile one day Ferris discussing some thing with Neil Frazer when some big chap horns in and takes over,Ferris moves around him and continues his discussion right in front of him!1Had to admire him with parkinson now troubling him quite badly drilling a line of rivet holes along the side of the Maserati sp. Margaret came out to see how he was making out,and asked hows he doing ?I told her a bit crooked but ok !!Well you would have to be there to understand then again he had a good sense of humour,We were at Puke a day after BOOBS on bikes parade down Queen St. when Jan Mc. walks past carring a crash hat Ferris asks wasnt the parade yesterday?? real cool,Jack Braham tried hard to take him to UK but he prefered NZ
    He was a great guy wasn't he? He was very generous with his time with me and very patient too. He wouldn't take any rubbish but he had a good sense of humour. He was hugely talented, quietly proud of what he had achieved but not one to big-note. I feel privileged to have known him.

Even his signature had style...

Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 05-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?
    Peter came to New Zealand for the first time around about 1957 and settled in Gisborne where the Falcon originated. I have attached a popular publicty photo that is quite well known around the world. But what is not known is that it was taken at Gisborne Airport. Peter Faulkner is sitting in the car and was one of three people that worked on the original buck. Peter Pallandine left New Zealand towards the end of the 50's to go back to England and then left England for Australia in 1962.

It is also possible that before he left for England he may have taken the car that would become the Tiki, an Ashly deriviative, down south but that is unconfirmed.

Name:  Peter Faulkner at the wheel of the Falcon.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  12.2 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Regarding #67, the ad came out of a 1965 publication.

Hi Patrick
    Looking at your list I think the Furi should be in here. Variety of models by Bennet, Dunedin. One in Queenstown...still making them.
    Chris Read - Arrowtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
    Hi Patrick
    Looking at your list I think the Furi should be in here. Variety of models by Bennet, Dunedin. One in Queenstown...still making them.
    Chris Read - Arrowtown.
    Hi Chris

I had heard of the Furi but thought that they were a lot of one offs. Happy to change that opinion and have just looked up Bennett and Bennet in the Dunedin Phonebook. Do you have any further information to narrow it down.

Who needs a car trailer? Just hire a trailer from the garage!

My Dad owned this for a very short time forty-odd years ago. He brought it home (to use as transport) when my Mum was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Always the optomist....

My Sister's old Ibis...

My old Leitch...

My old Chevron...

Dad's old Chevron...

The corner of Dad's old Ibis...

I think my family has supported the local car industry quite well. There was also a locally made Beach Buggy, another Chevron, three Steel Bros S4s and two more deJoux Mini GTs...

Jim Bennett, in this case I would agree with Patrick, prolific car builder, but all one offs except for one which I think Jim had plans for low production.
    PM for you patrick

Banned
    Patrick,

Full credit to you for approaching such a subject. It's bound to attract criticism as did Vercoes's book but without such as yours and Vercoes efforts, much of NZ's motoring history would be consigned to history. Sure! You'll be reprimanded for mistakes but take solace in the fact that you've saved some of it. I'll buy a copy.