Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NSCC and some Specials built by Club Members

Mention has been made some time ago of the GBS - built by Gordon Brown and more recently of the " Ford 10 Special " or Jock Aitken Special, built Jock who was a Mechanic and Engineer, he ran a small garage / workshop in Grafton Gully, near where the motorway is now - this was in the 1940's through to the 1960's from memory it was just a small garage with a ramp and pit beside it. My first car used to get serviced there back in 1967

This photo of the GBS and the Ford 10 Spl was posted recently, and I have found another photo of a car which looks the same as the Fordi 10 from Ohakea in 1952.

Photos from the Arthur Siddall collection from Duncan Fox.
    Name:  NSCC 1949 #559 Brown and Aitken the Specials Brown GBS Aitken Fordie Duncan Fox  (800x598) (3).jpg
Views: 549
Size:  70.1 KB

Note an A Cowper behind Jock Aitken's Ford 10 left photo at top.

Ohakea 1952 - middle left car driven by A Cowper - I am sure that is the Jock Aitken car.
    Extract from the 1953 Ohakea Programme from Mark Coulthard
    Name:  Motor Racing Ohakea #17 1952 article and Sports cars photo M Coulthard archives  (2).jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  100.1 KB

C H Chatteris - Harry Chatteris who was in C and R Racing with Ron Roycroft.
    George Smith in the Allard that is now with Rob Boult in Queenstown
    A story on another Special bult by an NSCC member is coming soon.

Note the Jock Aitken car I had noted as the Fordie - that was from a photo and was my poor reading of the caption Ford10 I took as FordIe.. apologies - as noted by Trevor Sheffield later was my error
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-07-2022 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Fordie correction 2022 ###47