Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hill Climb venues used by NSCC.

Trying to get a complete list of roads used by NSCC from the early days 1940's through to now.
    Have found a few but there are gaps in the order which probably means I am missing quite a lot

The list so far

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's - understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC

1950's

" Wairamarama Onewhero Road, Onewhero "

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's ** maybe 1964

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.

** Have now re-found an article about the last running of Birdwood Road in 1964 or 65 ! after that the new hill was to be Wharepapa Road, Helensville
    Name:  NSCC #247 1964 ! Birdwood Rd last  Hill Climb new venue Wharepapa Bob Homewood.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  67.6 KB

1967 on.

Cosseys Farm [ private road ] Drury - 1967 until at least the late 1980's [ more information needed ]

Also researching the Bardahl Series of Hill Climbs which appears to have started in the early 1970's with the trophy being mentioned in results as Club events incorporating the " Bardahl Trophy "

Any information or comments welcome.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-22-2020 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Spelling and more info ###47

Wairamarama (N.B. Spelling) was the exclusive venue of the Northern Sports Car Club for several years. It was originally a short section of a metal road which became sealed due the surface becoming a mud trap for farmers, who therefore put pressure on the local Council.

It was unusual at the time, being a sealed surface, rather than the usual loose metal rural road used for hillclimbs. It was used as I recall, from the late 1940's.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-22-2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Wairamarama (N.B. Spelling) was the exclusive venue of the Northern Sports Car Club for several years. It was originally a short section of a metal road which became sealed due the surface becoming a mud trap for farmers, who therefore put pressure on the local Council. It was used as I recall, from the late 1940's.
    Trevor, thanks for the notes about Wairamarama and the spelling - my notes were scribbled in pencil on a sheet of paper - need more attention to detail. Will correct it.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Trying to get a complete list of roads used by NSCC from the early days 1940's through to now.
    Have found a few but there are gaps in the order which probably means I am missing quite a lot

The list so far

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's - understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC

1950's

" Wairamarama Onewhero Road, Onewhero "

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.

1967 on.

Cosseys Farm [ private road ] Drury - 1967 until at least the late 1980's [ more information needed ]

Also researching the Bardahl Series of Hill Climbs which appears to have started in the early 1970's with the trophy being mentioned in results as Club events incorporating the " Bardahl Trophy "

Any information or comments welcome.
    Unfortunately this report of a 1948 hill climb at Whitford doesn't mention the name of the road.

Name:  img313 (2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  162.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Unfortunately this report of a 1948 hill climb at Whitford doesn't mention the name of the road.

Name:  img313 (2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  162.3 KB
    Thanks Milan a good article.
    The familiar names that my Uncle Ed used to talk about - Alan Pybus [ not Pubus ] was a great mate of Ed's and I can remember about 15 -20 years ago my cousin John, Ed's son, and myself carrying Alan up the stairs at Ed and Una's home. Alan was wheelchair bound but still had his drivers licence and a car with hand controls - a 3 series BMW from memory..
    Other great names all connected Ralph Watson, Ron Roycroft, Ken Hemus, Arthur Siddall whose photos have featured here recently and the great " Starter of Pukekohe " Laurie Powell in the results - have photos of of lot of them and their cars from Arthurs Albums showing Housego and MacGregor too - The Albums rescued by Duncan Fox as mentioned here before