Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOODWOOD Revival 2019

GOODWOOD Revival 2019

I was there in 2009, for part of Saturday, so ten years later, no surprise to have Minis and Sir Stirling Moss celebrated - again! I'm planning on being there 2020.

(draft programmes)

FRIDAY
    0800 AIR DISPLAY (10 mins)

0915 TRACK PARADE: Minis
    0945 Official Practice: Kinrara Trophy presented by Hackett
    1030 Official Practice: Fordwater Trophy
    1105 Official Practice: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy
    1150 Official Practice: St Mary's Trophy presented by Motul - Part 1
    1225 Official Practice: Goodwood Trophy
    1305 TRACK PARADE: Cooper Car Company
    1325 Official Practice: Glover Trophy
    1400 Official Practice: Sussex Trophy
    1435 Official Practice: Earl of March Trophy
    1505 Official Practice: Richmond & Gordon Trophies
    1545 DEMONSTRATION: 1959 TT
    1605 Official Practice: Brooklands Trophy
    1635 Official Practice: St Mary's Trophy presented by Motul - Part 2
    1710 Official Practice: Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration
    1750 Official Practice: Whitsun Trophy presented by Sky Cinema
    1835 RACE 1: Kinrara Trophy presented by Hackett

SATURDAY
    815 AIR DISPLAY (10 mins)

900 TRACK PARADE: Minis
    930 Official Practice: Freddie March Memorial Trophy
    1020 RACE 2: Fordwater Trophy
    1030 Bonhams Automobilia Auction – (entry by catalogue only)
    1110 Settrington Cup Part 1
    1130 DEMONSTRATION: 1959 TT
    1155 RACE 3: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy - Part 1
    1250 TRACK PARADE: Sir Stirling Moss Celebration
    1300 Bonhams Motor Car Auction – entry by catalogue only
    1310 Official Practice: Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration
    1400 RACE 4: St Mary's Trophy presented by Motul
    1450 TRACK PARADE: D-Day Commemoration
    1500 Best Dressed competition presented by Mastercard
    1530 RACE 5: Goodwood Trophy
    1615 TRACK PARADE: Cooper Car Company
    1650 RACE 6: Glover Trophy
    1740 RACE 7: Sussex Trophy
    1905 AIR DISPLAY: Spitfire-Mustang Duo (10 mins)

SUNDAY
    815 AIR DISPLAY (10 mins)

900 TRACK PARADE: Minis
    930 RACE 8: Earl of March Trophy
    1015 RACE 10: Richmond & Gordon Trophies
    1105 Settrington Cup - Part 2
    1125 RACE 10: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy - Part 2
    1215 RACE 11: Brooklands Trophy
    1325 Spectator Grid Walk – GRRC 20th Anniversary Medal holders only
    1310 TRACK PARADE: D-Day Commemoration
    1400 DEMONSTRATION: 1959 TT
    1430 RACE 12: Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration
    1500 Best Dressed competition presented by Mastercard
    1555 RACE 13: St Mary's Trophy presented by Motul - Part 2
    1645 RACE 14: Whitsun Trophy presented by Sky Cinema
    1730 TRACK PARADE: Cooper Car Company
    1800 RACE 15: Freddie March Memorial Trophy

Hope you enjoy the Friday Oldfart.

If I had to pick just one day, it would be the Friday. You don't have to put up with the stupid Settringham Cup for pedal cars, which is from the chicane exit to the start finish line. Total waste of crucial track time just to cater for the Hooray Henry's and their sprogs.

If you are stuck out on the far side of the circuit, all you get on the Saturday before midday is one practice and one race, then the start of the bikes. Up to 1:10pm, make that the above and the rest of the bike race, yet Saturday tickets sell out first as people can't get time off on Fridays and need to get home again Sunday for work on the Monday.

Significantly, tickets are still available for Friday and Sunday this year, which is unusual, so has the gloss now worn off for the regulars? It is an expensive event and there is lots to see off track including the pre 1966 car parks, but Saturday morning I think is very poor value for car enthusiasts who want to see some racing or at least, decent track action other than parades. Still worth going for at least once, but you have to manage your day by deciding where on the track you are at a given time, otherwise there is a lot of time standing around looking at bare tarmac.

Have they released the Entry List yet? I've been to their website a few times to check. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Looks as though it will be announced shortly. Brendon Hartley is down to drive an AC Cobra in the TT.

It's Friday that son and I will be there. We are staying about 15 miles away Thursday night to avoid too much of an early start. I'll take the good camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    It's Friday that son and I will be there. We are staying about 15 miles away Thursday night to avoid too much of an early start. I'll take the good camera.
    I'm surprised you were able to find accommodation so close. You must have booked really early?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Looks as though it will be announced shortly. Brendon Hartley is down to drive an AC Cobra in the TT.
    Yeah I saw that. I think that'll be an incredible sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I'm surprised you were able to find accommodation so close. You must have booked really early?
    Only about 6 weeks ago. Sean is pretty resourceful !

I usually get there just before the outer gates open at 7:30am. Cheese on toast and a coffee first, then a bit of a stroll around the various stalls before crossing the bridge into the track then straight to the paddock(s) to take static pics before it gets too crowded.

Then cross the airfield towards the other tunnel across the track, but staying on the inside for a few pics. Cross the track through the tunnel and walk anti-clockwise.

OR, come out of the paddock before the track action, across the track near the start and grab a few action pics on the chicane exit before walking clockwise, right around the track. Gets very busy at the chicane exit with crowds, and at Woodcote, so if you don't get to the front of the fence early, taking pics isn't easy.

Food outlets in several areas. The Coleman's pie shop behind Woodcote was worth a stop and there used to be an excellent fish and chip van.

Last year, behind the start finish grandstand, was a good food outlet.

Enjoy yourself Oldfart and add some pics to this thread when you get back.

Not sure if you have worked out how to do it! In summary for the pics, you must copy the pics you want to post. Preserve the originals in a safe directory on your computer. You then have to shrink the copies to a maximum of 185kbs and no bigger than 800 pixels wide before uploading. You might want to download 'Image resizer' which is a free programme and easy to use.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/p/im...ot:overviewtab

Click on the picture of a tree, third little pic from the right and browse the folder on your computer and upload, one at a time. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-10-2019 at 04:48 AM.

I usually get there just before the outer gates open at 7:30am. Cheese on toast and a coffee first, then a bit of a stroll around the various stalls before crossing the bridge into the track then straight to the paddock(s) to take static pics before it gets too crowded.

Then cross the airfield towards the other tunnel across the track, but staying on the inside for a few pics. Cross the track through the tunnel and walk anti-clockwise.

OR, come out of the paddock before the track action, across the track near the start and grab a few action pics on the chicane exit before walking clockwise, right around the track. Gets very busy at the chicane exit with crowds, and at Woodcote, so if you don't get to the front of the fence early, taking pics isn't easy.

Food outlets in several areas. The Coleman's pie shop behind Woodcote was worth a stop and there used to be an excellent fish and chip van.

Last year, behind the start finish grandstand, was a good food outlet.

Enjoy yourself Oldfart and add some pics to this thread when you get back.

Not sure if you have worked out how to do it! In summary for the pics, you must copy the pics you want to post. Preserve the originals in a safe directory on your computer. You then have to shrink the copies to a maximum of 185kbs and no bigger than 800 pixels wide before uploading. You might want to download 'Image resizer' which is a free programme and easy to use.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/p/im...ot:overviewtab

Click on the picture of a tree, third little pic from the right and browse the folder on your computer and upload, one at a time. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask.
    How many times have you been now Ray? You sound like a Revival veteran. Have you ever attended all three days? I imagine that would be mentally quite exhausting, given everything there is to see.

I first went on a very wet Friday 2000, with my wife and didn't stay too long. Had to buy a new pair of shoes or trousers that afternoon! We stayed at Midhurst along with Chris Barber's fine clarinet/sax player, John Crocker and his wife (also from Nottingham) and Saturday morning was bright but rather chilly. John, like Chris, has an interest in cars.

Again we didn't stay too long and my wife found the noise of the V16 BRM and other single seaters a bit much! (Which is just one reason for wanting to do the three days on my own.)

In 2009, it was a last minute decision to go to the UK for a school reunion on the Saturday, so only had part of Friday, with my youngest brother, but had to leave 3pm for a Chris Barber concert in Christchurch (UK!) that night.

In 2016 and 2018, I did the trip on my own and all 3 days - and will probably do all 3 in 2020, again, on my own.

A 7:30am gates open usually means getting up and travelling from wherever (Southampton 2016, Portsmouth 2018) so yes, beginning to flag by the end of the day. It is very exhausting and unless you have a grandstand seat, a lot of time on your feet. (Tip: take a $1.50 Warehouse tarpaulin to sit on. I forgot to pick mine up on the Friday and lost it!)

In 2018, I stayed for the start of the Kinrara Trophy on the Friday night then headed off early before it got too busy. A doddle getting out thanks to an extremely good acquaintance who gets me parking in the GRRC cark park, which is closest.

By the time Sunday afternoon came along, the exhaustion had taken its toll and I missed the Sussex Trophy and I notice that this year, they have shifted the Sussex Trophy to the last race on Saturday - it deserves an earlier time slot, but I'm determined to at least see the start next year, come hell or high water.

A stout pair of shoes is essential and a big umbrella and folding directors chair useful. I buy a cheap umbrella the day before for a few dollars and just deliberately leave it in the rental car if it is at the end of my visit. Thankfully, I didn't need it in 2018, but in 2016, it rained all day on the Saturday. Expect that at Goodwood.

As pointed out above, I do get frustrated with some aspects of the programme and next time, I'd probably sacrifice part of the Saturday morning by going to the paddock first thing before the racing starts, then hang around the Woodcote, Chicane or front straight area, then nip out again and spend more time wandering the pre 1966 car park, outside, which is fascinating - and huge!

Back in again for the afternoon's racing.

Friday, I'd always walk the whole circuit, as the viewing is excellent (no stupid, tall wire fences...) and fine for a camera with a 300mm lens. Lugging the 2.5kg bazooka lens around is a total waste of time.

Sunday, I'd still leave just before racing finishes, to beat the queues, but getting out is very well organised. Getting in is the slow bit, hence the early starts.

Despite my moans about the programme and the usual European and British running strictly to the clock, meaning often there is a lot of hanging about, it still knock spots off any other event, if only for the opportunity to get decent photographs. I'm still debating on whether or not Laguna Seca is worth the hassle of getting there, given that Ken's excellent paddock photos are supplemented by action shots taken by others.

The ability to walk right around Goodwood and get shots from every corner makes it worthwhile and although the majority will be right to left, I did find in 2018 that there was one position to get left to right shots. The dream is to get the left to right shots from the Chicane and I may have found that opportunity in 2020 for the Friday only. It may be a bigger expense than usual in 2020, but...

One or two gems in the entry list. My new 'friend' Duncan Ricketts running the recently restored (Reg) Parnell Challenger, rather than the GP1 ERA. Eight ERA's running.

St Mary's Trophy grid (Saturday & Sunday) is another good one and the prewar grid is an all Bentley affair. Sure, there are heaps of regulars, but there is still enough variety to make it worthwhile, any year.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-11-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Name:  219_09 St Marys.JPG
Views: 1587
Size:  133.4 KB

World Champion
    Ray,
    Thanks for the encouraging words regarding Laguna Seca, but I am not giving up on you arriving here next year either in June (Sonoma ) or August (Laguna Seca.)
    I can see why you get excited about Goodwood and thanks for advising Rhys about inputting photos as we will be anxious to see them.
    I will be away this weekend so I hope you get to enjoy the live streaming ?

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goodwood-revival/

(Ken H)

I first went on a very wet Friday 2000, with my wife and didn't stay too long. Had to buy a new pair of shoes or trousers that afternoon! We stayed at Midhurst along with Chris Barber's fine clarinet/sax player, John Crocker and his wife (also from Nottingham) and Saturday morning was bright but rather chilly. John, like Chris, has an interest in cars.

Again we didn't stay too long and my wife found the noise of the V16 BRM and other single seaters a bit much! (Which is just one reason for wanting to do the three days on my own.)

In 2009, it was a last minute decision to go to the UK for a school reunion on the Saturday, so only had part of Friday, with my youngest brother, but had to leave 3pm for a Chris Barber concert in Christchurch (UK!) that night.

In 2016 and 2018, I did the trip on my own and all 3 days - and will probably do all 3 in 2020, again, on my own.

A 7:30am gates open usually means getting up and travelling from wherever (Southampton 2016, Portsmouth 2018) so yes, beginning to flag by the end of the day. It is very exhausting and unless you have a grandstand seat, a lot of time on your feet. (Tip: take a $1.50 Warehouse tarpaulin to sit on. I forgot to pick mine up on the Friday and lost it!)

In 2018, I stayed for the start of the Kinrara Trophy on the Friday night then headed off early before it got too busy. A doddle getting out thanks to an extremely good acquaintance who gets me parking in the GRRC cark park, which is closest.

By the time Sunday afternoon came along, the exhaustion had taken its toll and I missed the Sussex Trophy and I notice that this year, they have shifted the Sussex Trophy to the last race on Saturday - it deserves an earlier time slot, but I'm determined to at least see the start next year, come hell or high water.

A stout pair of shoes is essential and a big umbrella and folding directors chair useful. I buy a cheap umbrella the day before for a few dollars and just deliberately leave it in the rental car if it is at the end of my visit. Thankfully, I didn't need it in 2018, but in 2016, it rained all day on the Saturday. Expect that at Goodwood.

As pointed out above, I do get frustrated with some aspects of the programme and next time, I'd probably sacrifice part of the Saturday morning by going to the paddock first thing before the racing starts, then hang around the Woodcote, Chicane or front straight area, then nip out again and spend more time wandering the pre 1966 car park, outside, which is fascinating - and huge!

Back in again for the afternoon's racing.

Friday, I'd always walk the whole circuit, as the viewing is excellent (no stupid, tall wire fences...) and fine for a camera with a 300mm lens. Lugging the 2.5kg bazooka lens around is a total waste of time.

Sunday, I'd still leave just before racing finishes, to beat the queues, but getting out is very well organised. Getting in is the slow bit, hence the early starts.

Despite my moans about the programme and the usual European and British running strictly to the clock, meaning often there is a lot of hanging about, it still knock spots off any other event, if only for the opportunity to get decent photographs. I'm still debating on whether or not Laguna Seca is worth the hassle of getting there, given that Ken's excellent paddock photos are supplemented by action shots taken by others.

The ability to walk right around Goodwood and get shots from every corner makes it worthwhile and although the majority will be right to left, I did find in 2018 that there was one position to get left to right shots. The dream is to get the left to right shots from the Chicane and I may have found that opportunity in 2020 for the Friday only. It may be a bigger expense than usual in 2020, but...

One or two gems in the entry list. My new 'friend' Duncan Ricketts running the recently restored (Reg) Parnell Challenger, rather than the GP1 ERA. Eight ERA's running.

St Mary's Trophy grid (Saturday & Sunday) is another good one and the prewar grid is an all Bentley affair. Sure, there are heaps of regulars, but there is still enough variety to make it worthwhile, any year.
    Fantastic Ray! Do you get dressed up in period attire?

For me, the highlight is always the RAC TT.

No period attire Steve - but my wardrobe hasn't changed significantly since 1966 anyway! My one concession is a flat cap - or a genuine Panama hat.

Just watched some Fordwater practice. Nick Swift (1966 Mini Marcos) 4th! Looks like the 1966 Le Mans Mini Marcos that was the only British car to finish. That is if you count the GT40's as American, though I usually count GT40s as British.

All cars in that grid look superb - and virtually none were racing there last year. Fastest - TR4.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-13-2019 at 09:56 AM.

No period attire Steve - but my wardrobe hasn't changed significantly since 1966 anyway! My one concession is a flat cap - or a genuine Panama hat.

Just watched some Fordwater practice. Nick Swift (1966 Mini Marcos) 4th! Looks like the 1966 Le Mans Mini Marcos that was the only British car to finish. That is if you count the GT40's as American, though I usually count GT40s as British.

All cars in that grid look superb - and virtually none were racing there last year. Fastest - TR4.
    Yes, I've been watching the Kinrara Trophy practice. "Only" one 250GTO this year, but I've always loved the 250GT SWB.

Great day today. A bit chilly first thing, and a bit warm in the afternoon! Great to see the Healey Corvette.

Went to bed last night just at the end of the St Mary's practice.

It's on again now, delayed coverage! (Follow Ken's Goodwood link - on YouTube) Pity the cameras spend so much time on the fastest two or three cars - especially in practice. Bad enough during the racing when 50% of the field never even gets a mention and where there are so many very interesting cars.

Surely, covering the whole field in a 20 minute practice session shouldn't be too difficult? Goodwood is about the variety and when Richard Attwood is in an old Ford Prefect, he is no match for the V8 Studebaker, but deserves coverage. Isn't it what Goodwood is all about and why the races are run to time rather than laps?

Glad you enjoyed it Oldfart. Weather looks to be about the same as here. Good you had a bright sunny day for your visit. Look forward to your impressions of the day in general so that people have a different viewpoint from my dribble.

I'll hopefully catch up with more later, but so good to know that you don't need to stay up all night to watch some decent action! Mind you, remember, if watching live, the time between races can get a bit annoying, so will have to check out YouTube to see if each of the sessions is covered as individual races.

Wow! Nick Swift in the Mini Marcos a real ding dong battle with the winning Lotus Elan. A superb second place. Great close racing.