Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Race Replica Debate

World Champion
    Talking of flocks of seagulls.......birdwatchers, looking at both the feathered and the long legged, would probably come into the anorak brigade too.......'Dodgy facts'......surely there are no dodgy 'facts' in our hobby Shano. I must take a look at ANF.

thats one of the great things on this site, your allowed a bit of an allowance for age, memory and bad spelling,plus a bit more of a relaxed down under attitude, Steve must be blowen out at the things that keep popping up here is an anorak different to a rain coat

World Champion
    I'm waiting for Steve to lower-the-boom on all this non roaringseason stuff. Fair go you guys, we are supposed to be into meaningful discussions on halibrand diffs, top-loaders[what ever they are] and dodgy facts. But thats what I like about this forum, nobody jumps down your throat if you say something outrageous. Yes an anorak is different from a rain coat. A raincoat is worn by dirty old men with dodgy mechanicals, and anoraks are worn by obsessive people with largely solitary interests......probably one in the same thing. I seem to have lost the thread of this thread......which thread is it by the way?

i will dig it out

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I'm waiting for Steve to lower-the-boom on all this non roaringseason stuff. Fair go you guys, we are supposed to be into meaningful discussions on halibrand diffs, top-loaders[what ever they are] and dodgy facts. But thats what I like about this forum, nobody jumps down your throat if you say something outrageous. Yes an anorak is different from a rain coat. A raincoat is worn by dirty old men with dodgy mechanicals, and anoraks are worn by obsessive people with largely solitary interests......probably one in the same thing. I seem to have lost the thread of this thread......which thread is it by the way?
    Uh Oh..I wear wear my Anorak over my raincoat AMC

World Champion
    Thanks rogered. I presume you mean you are going to dig out the photo, and not your plastic mac or anorak.

Semi-Pro Racer
    My understanding is that Talley's fisheries have a big stake in it

World Champion
    Come again markec.....what have Talleys fisheries got a big stake in...... the Maserati birdcage, the Custaxie, or anoraks??????

what sort of races are the Coppins and Spague Zephyrs allowed to run in

Semi-Pro Racer
    .....when I told my Dad that my girlfriend was pregnant,He just looked at me with a cloud of disappointment,hands on hips,gave a sigh of frustration and said,Quote;"don't you ever listen to what I tell you,I said, if you remember ,that if your going to sleep with her make dam sure you where a 'Rain Coat'!!!!!!!!.........Jez!!! He seemed that pissed off that I didn't dare tell him that it got to hot!!!....... Regards thunder427/MJ.......!!true story !

Semi-Pro Racer
    This replica debate will go on for years, there are at leas 3 F5000's that have only the chassis plate as the only original part.New chassis plate can be purchased online,its not difficult to stamp them.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I should have said Brabham chassis plates can be bought new.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Both the Custaxie and the Dauphine, Mr Millar is an employee there I am told.

World Champion
    105angria, previous Festivals catered for these cars when the 'decade' system was being used, but now we have pre '78 over 3 litres, and pre '78 under 3 litres. So the Sprague car should be ok, but where the Coppins Replica goes I'm not sure...I presume it's over 3 litres, but dont see it fitting in with Dales group. There will be something, but not sure what.

World Champion
    Ok, I should have looked first. Cars like the Coppins Zephyr will race in class 6....Pre 85 Invited open saloons and GT's.....which can include some of the old 'allcomers'

World Champion
    Yes bry3500, and the one in the picture is the REAL thing. I mean what is the point of all this......the replica has a bloody commercial DIESEL engine of nearly the same HP as the original 24 litre aircraft engine, and some turkey from Cummins wants to RACE against the real thing. Well you can still see and hear the REAL thing, and it is bought out on occasions to do demo laps etc, so why anyone, at vast expense, would want to build a diesel powered 'replica' is beyond me. If they had slotted in some old V12 aircraft engine in it, I could perhaps be a little more generous towards it but as far as I am concerned is just a publicity stunt for Cummins to show off some newer technology. AND, it is NOT a replica.....is it?

Well with all the talk here about replicas ,how about buying the real thing ,Peter Bennett stopped by at work on his way through today and he wishes to sell his Lotus TC powered A40 Farina ,now here is a chance to get something that is a least very close to what it was when I raced against it in 67/68 and it has a COD etc,If ayone is genuinely interested either get in touch with Peter or get hold of me for his contact details,there can't be too many cars out there left from the allcomer days that you can have a chance of owning

what sort of $ would something like that be bob $30k

Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    what sort of $ would something like that be bob $30k
    I believe you are close