Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pete Geoghegans Craven Mild Monaro

BUt surely GT40 parts would have been fairly "cheap" (or should I say easily attainable) in the early-mid 70's??? As it woulda just have been old race car stuff... Just like alot of the Gp5 BSCC Falcons ended up with GT40 engines, brakes, wheels etc....

There was an air vent in the windscreen (Lexan I think). It was about 50mm diam and was styled on a light aircraft vent. On the windscreen face there was a half crescent cut out on the bottom. Then a disc was attached with a corresponding half crescent turned outwards with a through bolt through the windscreen allowing it to be rotated to give varying flow. Bit of a wank really but just one of those "Sheppo" tweaks to give the opposition something to scratch their heads with. Just like when the car first ran, it had candles in the headlight bowls (low beam?). The rules just stated that there had to be at least "low beam"!!!

Journeyman Racer
    Is that the vent, near the 'S' in Stevens?

http://vimeo.com/50871885

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mackie View Post
    Is that the vent, near the 'S' in Stevens?

http://vimeo.com/50871885
    The vent in the Stevens windscreen is not the original version or position.

CCR

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    There was an air vent in the windscreen (Lexan I think). It was about 50mm diam and was styled on a light aircraft vent. On the windscreen face there was a half crescent cut out on the bottom. Then a disc was attached with a corresponding half crescent turned outwards with a through bolt through the windscreen allowing it to be rotated to give varying flow. Bit of a wank really but just one of those "Sheppo" tweaks to give the opposition something to scratch their heads with. Just like when the car first ran, it had candles in the headlight bowls (low beam?). The rules just stated that there had to be at least "low beam"!!!
    Thanks Rowan, amazing you remember this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Rowan, amazing you remember this stuff!
    I kept an "eye" on Sheppo's stuff since the Gardner Camaro days. By the way...

Gardner SCA Camaro (now restored) at the Goodwood Revival Press Day. http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodw....C0&nggpage=12

Top Right.

Hope it works.
    Last edited by aussiemonza; 04-15-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Rowan. Your old Camaro looks fantastic!

Re the Geoghegan Monaro, do you know if Sheppo's 'vortex generators' above the back window had the desired effect?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    BUt surely GT40 parts would have been fairly "cheap" (or should I say easily attainable) in the early-mid 70's??? As it woulda just have been old race car stuff... Just like alot of the Gp5 BSCC Falcons ended up with GT40 engines, brakes, wheels etc....
    Yeah the Falcons did seem to end up with a few GT40 parts, I guess that was the Alan Mann connection. I guess GT40s are a bit like Cobra's. Looking back now, the prices paid for them does seem pretty cheap, but at the time would have still been fairly expensive. Its just they weren't stratospheric. But from what I understand, the fact O'Neil obtained GT40 parts even at the time was considered a pretty big deal.

you always know its a serious shed, when it has a wheeling machine.

Any updates on how this rebuild is progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Any updates on how this rebuild is progressing?
    Good question Darren, I'd like to know too.

Any update on the status of this amazing car?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Any update on the status of this amazing car?
    I recently saw a photo of it and it appeared close to being finished - fully painted and sporting the original wheels. I'll see if I can find a link and post it.

Originally posted by Steve Holmes
    ..... But from what I understand, the fact O'Neil obtained GT40 parts even at the time was considered a pretty big deal.
    Laurie was a complete and utter car and motor racing nut. The story was that at the time he had his own GT40, whether the bits came from it, or from spares he had with it, or via contacts he had because of owning it, I don't know.

His history in the sport started when he popped up from a roadside culvert to watch Ossie Cranston take a rapid pass on some outer-Perth road in his 1936 Ford V8. He was obviously publicly-known to be out testing out its top speed that day, possibly in preparation for the South Australian Centenary Grand Prix later in the year at Victor Harbor.

He was closely associated with four Australian Grand Prix winners - Allan Tomlinson, Doug Whiteford, Frank Matich and John Goss. The latter two he supported in their racing, while Whiteford had a drive or two in Laurie's Aston Martin DB4GTZ (as did Pete Geoghegan, incidentally) and Tomlinson remained a lifelong friend.

Here's the pic I mentioned. Not my photo and happy to add an attribution if anyone knows who took it....Name:  Geoghegan restoration.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  73.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by librules View Post
    Here's the pic I mentioned. Not my photo and happy to add an attribution if anyone knows who took it....Name:  Geoghegan restoration.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  73.6 KB
    Fantastic to see this restoration. I was worried it wouldn’t happens as well .

I have the Models 56 version of this car and it is probably my favourite.

Not sure about the Swiss cheese look of the rear inside panel. I don’t think John Shepard would have left it like that.

I like that restored to original look fenders. Those later ones were so hideous.

I love the 11am opening time of the business. Don’t want to rush these things....

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Fantastic to see this restoration. I was worried it wouldn’t happens as well .

I have the Models 56 version of this car and it is probably my favourite.

Not sure about the Swiss cheese look of the rear inside panel. I don’t think John Shepard would have left it like that.

I like that restored to original look fenders. Those later ones were so hideous.

I love the 11am opening time of the business. Don’t want to rush these things....
    Terry S looks like your posts are getting through OK.

Re " I love the 11am opening time of the business. Don’t want to rush these things.. " That is to make sure the coffee is ready and the scones are in the oven - or is it the " rotisserie " for the chassis ??

This car is coming up for auction early next year (I have no connection). It looks fairly complete but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been run on track. It is being auctioned by Burns and Co.