Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HMC Build Thread: 70 Mustang PDL Replica

HMC Build Thread: 70 Mustang PDL Replica

This is more of a rebuild build, Purchase from John Watkins in California he had it built by a Kiwi living in Modesto, Ca about 8 years ago and raced it at NorCal Shelby open track events at Somona and Thunderhill, he hasn't used it much since he purchased other race cars. It came available several months back and is now in my shop getting stripped out, rollcage fitted and other specs to meet HMC rules, it will be done as a PDL replica. Will post further pics and details as the build goes but hope to have it ready for Januarys Festival. Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 09-03-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Pic taken today the side stripes have been removed and new 15X9 Minilites ftted with the HMC spec Hoosier tyre, off to the panelbeaters next week to have the fenders flared then strip out the interior for the rollcage. Dale M

What about Wayne, no mention of the old bugger and he was the only one working on it today Dale! No mention or photo of those trick rear springs that Pete and I cottoned on to either!!! Come on now.........

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    What about Wayne, no mention of the old bugger and he was the only one working on it today Dale! No mention or photo of those trick rear springs that Pete and I cottoned on to either!!! Come on now.........
    Ha ha ha ha ha!

Cool thread Dale, and a neat car to do a tribute on. Here is a shot of the original, for inspiration.

Name:  pdl 1.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  115.9 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    A bit more inspiration......Perry Drury Launceston pics

Have all the Mustang stripped out from the steering wheel back, doing the misc engineering work, waiting for the steel to start on the rollcage and then off to the beaters for some flares and then paintwork!!

The rear underside shows no tricks what so ever!!

Dale M

Isn't dynamat fun to get off?!!! Weighs a ton too, bloody horrible stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Isn't dynamat fun to get off?!!! Weighs a ton too, bloody horrible stuff!
    Ain't that the truth Conrod, sticks like s#*t to a blanket!! the only way I can remove it is to peel the paint of with it!!

Thank god Dale, never had a s#*t that bad. Yea it is a painful job, and law of averages you stab your hand at some stage.

Thats a real nice looking car, must be great to start with a nice clean one like that. Maybe if you can find enough cars you can do one for each colour the original was, that would fill your field up.

Couple more photos of days gone past
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-22-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Couple more photos of days gone past
    Thats is a great side on shot of the PDL in orange Rod, never seen that one before!! can you E-mail it direct to me at dmathers@xtra.co.nz

Thanks Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    Dale

Can you run those discs on rear in HMC or does it have to go back to drum
    and
    Do you have to mount the rear shocks staggered as per an original Boss

Looks to be a very nice solid body.
    Look fwd to seeing it with PDL signage.

Ellis
    Last edited by Ellis; 09-20-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Dale

Can you run those discs on rear in HMC or does it have to go back to drum
    and
    Do you have to mount the rear shocks staggered as per an original Boss

Looks to be a very nice solid body.
    Look fwd to seeing it with PDL signage.

Ellis
    Ellis, rear disc are allowed due to the fact they used them "period" but calipers must be a 2 piece lug mount design to be historically correct(not Mono block or radial mount) the rear(and front) shocks must be in the original position whether staggered or not as that body shell came with both options.

I knew this Mustang from 20 years ago sitting in a guys back yard, original paint California car so the body was great, the car was just worn out, I never quite step up for it back then($4K) but then 10 years ago John Watkins bought it and had Kiwi Rex Kelland do the build, which I followed every time in was in the US, once John started racing other vehicles he didn't use it for some years and I always told him I'd buy it when he was ready to sell, that day came several months back!!

I always had the idea of a PDL signage replica rather than a Parnelli car, means more here in NZ.

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 09-22-2013 at 07:47 AM.

This PDL signage does it for me every time Dale, its a car we all saw , loved then and we will love this replica.
    who/ what is Parnelli to us anyway, he never came here.

John don't be so rude,
    He gave his name to a NZ Legend in the square edge Firestone tyre that had big white writing on it and skidded at the site of rain, they were good because they were wide and you did not need much grunt to skid them in the damp. Mind you they did make a good Waikaraka tyre for saloons with the width and open tread.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks for reply Dale...not too many structural changes to make then

PDL livery in NZ any/every day...it was even well known in OZ

Keep the progress pics coming

Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    John don't be so rude,
    He gave his name to a NZ Legend in the square edge Firestone tyre that had big white writing on it and skidded at the site of rain, they were good because they were wide and you did not need much grunt to skid them in the damp. Mind you they did make a good Waikaraka tyre for saloons with the width and open tread.
    Ha Ha Ha, so funny and oh so true Rod, I had a set on the rear of a hotted up MK 1 Zephyr I owned in the mid 70's, 4 spd inline shifter, triple carbs etc, you guys know the deal!! and boy I thought they were COOL, offcourse been a teenager it could skid them up which was hip but damn dangerous, I remember spinning out coming up the west side of the Kaimais in the wet one night, didn't even know who Parnelli Jones was but those big white letters were magic, spit on the tyres though and it was all over, LOL!! sold the Z-car before I destroyed it which the next owner did.

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    There is the odd flash of the PDL in this Youtube Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paGlq...eature=youtube

Whose is the Camaro #6 carrying the Wattie's advertising and the kiwi signage ?