Thread: John Ohlsen - car builder. what happened to the two Katipo's ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wow $1000 very nice investment indeed..!!

Thats interesting about John Ohlsen giving the Daytona its first run, it would have been extremely rewarding after the time and effort in building the car. There's a fantastic article about CSX2299 the 2nd Daytona Coupe in the Shelby Cars in Detail collector book, this was one of the european bodied Daytona's, it was mistakenly built with the incorrect windscreen height and as a consequence a different roof line, a mistake by Shelby American when they installed the windscreen cowl tube at the wrong height. Coincidentally CSX2299 was also the car John Ohlsen was seriously burnt when a fuel spill ignited under the car during a pit stop to fix an overheating differential.

Am I correct that Carroll Shelby's master fabricator Phil Remington was also an expat New Zealander, I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by nick_tassie; 03-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    2287- the 'first' coupe , was the car that caught fire in pits and John Ohlsen was burnt from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    2287- the 'first' coupe , was the car that caught fire in pits and John Ohlsen was burnt from.
    Yes you are right, I missed that they were breifly talking about CSX2287 in that part of the story on CSX2299.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_tassie View Post
    Am I correct that Carroll Shelby's master fabricator Phil Remington was also an expat New Zealander, I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I could be mistaken.
    I've never heard that one - which isn't to say it's not correct. Remington was around Californian racing in the very early '50s

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I've never heard that one - which isn't to say it's not correct. Remington was around Californian racing in the very early '50s
    My recollection is that Phil Remington was definitely an American; he certainly had a strong American accent. There were other Kiwi expats in the Shelby operation besides John Ohlsen, namely Steele Therkleson, Ron Butler (both still living in California) and Grev Hesketh (back in Rotorua).

Phil Remington is defiantly American, im sure he would luv to know we think he has some "Kiwi" blood as he is considered the master fabricator come problem solver in the USA aftermarket auto industry, and for Shelby American and many other companies he worked for. I have meet Phil a few times when i've visited Dan Gurneys workshop in Santa Ana, CA where he still works, he's been with Gurney for many years, believe he's around 90? Offcourse the likes of Olsen, Butler, Therkleson, Hesketh were all Kiwi's working under him so he has a close affection to kiwi's!! In 2003 i wanted to buy some Gurney Westlake cylinder heads so i went to AAR and knocked on there door, didn't say i was a Kiwi but when asked where i was from, WELL, did i get the Red Carpet treatment and even a personal tour of the shop by Dan himself as he was very close to Hulme and McLaren let alone all the kiwi mechanics!! have been back several times and even took a tour there in 05, just luv it!!

In Picture from left!! Steve and Mike Rorison, myself, Nigel MacDonald(Hawera) and Mr Gurney

Dale Mathers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David Manton View Post
    There were other Kiwi expats in the Shelby operation besides John Ohlsen, namely Steele Therkleson, Ron Butler (both still living in California) and Grev Hesketh (back in Rotorua).
    And Arnold Stafford - even though he was UK-born (and is no longer with us)