Thread: The State of NZ Motorsport.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim, depends whether you are talking about finding world class drivers,entertainment package, or a place for enthusiasts to use their cars.
    Currently it seems to me that Motorsport (the organisation) have failed to recognize that there are these distinctions, and more importantly failed to cater for them.
    Some people on here have a particular bent, harping about one of these facets, when I thiink all need to be catered for.
    In the "good old days" there was less distinction as the first of these was un-needed, as in most cases the "cream will rise to the top". Our best drivers went to grass track, hillclimbs, in fact anything going, that's where the McLaren, Hulme, Amon and countless others came from, including our world class mechanics.
    Sailing did the same, when there were thousands of people sailing at club level this country produced many world championship level sailors, now most clubs struggle to hold a race day and there are few.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Jim, depends whether you are talking about finding world class drivers,entertainment package, or a place for enthusiasts to use their cars.
    Currently it seems to me that Motorsport (the organisation) have failed to recognize that there are these distinctions, and more importantly failed to cater for them.
    Some people on here have a particular bent, harping about one of these facets, when I thiink all need to be catered for.
    In the "good old days" there was less distinction as the first of these was un-needed, as in most cases the "cream will rise to the top". Our best drivers went to grass track, hillclimbs, in fact anything going, that's where the McLaren, Hulme, Amon and countless others came from, including our world class mechanics.
    Sailing did the same, when there were thousands of people sailing at club level this country produced many world championship level sailors, now most clubs struggle to hold a race day and there are few.
    Some countries rank motorsport up there with soccer and other ball sports, not so NZ, no wonder there is little media coverage.
    USA has reasonable coverage of Indy car, ALMS and Daytona Prototypes but nothing compares to NASCAR. A sport that is discussed just like rugby back home by most of the east coast population and a pretty good percentage of the rest of the country.
    Not my favourite type of racing but it helps the other classes get coverage.
    Cheers, Grant Ellwood