Thread: Minis and Imps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imp Wagon View Post
    Hi Steve, thanks for the positive feedback, and can I compliment you on the great effort you put in on this forum - fantastic!

I actually got the rolling shell from Graeme Clyde who had built it and raced it for a couple of seasons in OSCA in the seventies with a red and black colour scheme. I then added the group 2 arches, hand built the alloy doors, modified the rear suspension, painted it yellow and built my own 998 engine using some components that I purchased from George Bevan who's Imps won the BTCC 3 years in a row in the early seventies.
    As for the Kent Messenger Imp, it was rolled heavily at Paddock bend at Brand's in 1975 when John hit some oil on the track and went off. He disposed of the remains in the pit on his farm and burnt it along with the other rubbish. When I visited him in 1978 I retrieved the only piece I could find left of it and still have it to this day.
    Finally, you are right about the Husky, it is a 1968 model and was imported to NZ and first registered in 1969. I have owned it since 1989 and it has now covered 250,000 miles.
    Wow, George Bevan components! His cars were hugely successful in the BTCC. How many years did you race the car for? Got any more photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, George Bevan components! His cars were hugely successful in the BTCC. How many years did you race the car for? Got any more photos?
    Hi Steve, I ran it for 2 seasons in the 0-2 litre class which was a bit of a mis-match but it still managed to turn a few heads. I have only a few photo's tucked away somewhere, but will try to find them. I did actually meet George Bevan when I picked up my bits from him in 1978 (George knew my friend John Homewood well and built his engines for him) and he kindly let me take a photo of him in his workshop. (see below.)

Name:  George Bevan 1978.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  100.0 KB