Thread: Who What and Where?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer

Before Most of Us Were Born.

These 2 photos are the only motor racing ones in my late father's collection. He wasn't a motor racing fan, boats were more his thing, living in Devonport. We never got an explanation of the photos from him, but a friend of his was a salesman for one(?) of the car firms in Albert St, Auckland in the late 1920's - 1930's and that may have been the connection.

Venue is obviously Hennings Speedway at Mangere, but the Who and What are a mystery. Also the "When", although it should be 1929 or 1930 going by the "D-plate" with the dinky little straps and buckles. Plates were changed yearly in those days, and 28/29 and 29/30 had a dot or a diamond in the number on light colour on dark background.

Quite a nice-looking car. Any suggestions? I honestly have no idea, although there are several likely candidates in old Hennings Speedway photos in books.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    These 2 photos are the only motor racing ones in my late father's collection. He wasn't a motor racing fan, boats were more his thing, living in Devonport. We never got an explanation of the photos from him, but a friend of his was a salesman for one(?) of the car firms in Albert St, Auckland in the late 1920's - 1930's and that may have been the connection.

Venue is obviously Hennings Speedway at Mangere, but the Who and What are a mystery. Also the "When", although it should be 1929 or 1930 going by the "D-plate" with the dinky little straps and buckles. Plates were changed yearly in those days, and 28/29 and 29/30 had a dot or a diamond in the number on light colour on dark background.

Quite a nice-looking car. Any suggestions? I honestly have no idea, although there are several likely candidates in old Hennings Speedway photos in books.

Stu
    These are beautiful photos Stu! Thanks for posting. The car in the first photo is impressive! Just look at the workmanship that has gone into the rear bodywork.