Thread: Musicians and Movie Stars involved in Motorsport.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    NZ country musician, Brendan Dugan.

Quite a lot of the UK's radio DJ's in the 1970's got into motorsport when commercial radio was to the forefront, sponsoring race meetings - Noel Edmonds being one who took it further than most.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-22-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    NZ country musician, Brendan Dugan.

Quite a lot of the UK's radio DJ's in the 1970's got into motorsport when commercial radio was to the forefront, sponsoring race meetings - Noel Edmonds being one who took it further than most.
    actually they held the radio one road show at some race meetings with some of the pop bands of the day present often doing a concert later Chaos ensued when they had the Bay city Rollers at 1 meeting!
    The Radio one DJ then had a race with some musicians Cozzy Powell the drummer was top dog Mike Smith DJ was already racing and later went onto to do BTCC with sierra rs500 Noel edmonds once owned 2 GT40 cars in his early days later he was involved with a LM team
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Apart from Nick Mason running his Lola T290 Hu22 at LM for many years
    Steve O'Rourke the bands manager raced cars had many LM entry with his own team EMKA
    also Dave Gilmour had a go too
    Jay Leno David Letterman have car collections and Indy car race team investment

Shane Lynch from Boyzone raced British GT
    Spice girls brother has been in BTCC last few seasons now pit lane commentator
    Atomic Kitten sponsored BTCC MG team 1 season

Denny Lane of Wings sponsored Dave Coyne in 1981 FF2000

In Japan there was a pop Band sponsored the team Ralf Schumacher raced for in 95
    another F3000 team owner is japanese film/ tv actor

Val Musetti was film stunt man (italian job) and raced F2 F5000 F1 cars in UK events
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

And rock band Starz sponsorship of Brett Riley's F3 March in '78 or '79.

I guess it was relatively easy to siphon some money out of the mega bucks floating around the recording industry at that time. Don't see Starz or their ilk doing reunion concerts today.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    actually they held the radio one road show at some race meetings with some of the pop bands of the day present often doing a concert later Chaos ensued when they had the Bay city Rollers at 1 meeting!
    The Radio one DJ then had a race with some musicians Cozzy Powell the drummer was top dog Mike Smith DJ was already racing and later went onto to do BTCC with sierra rs500 Noel edmonds once owned 2 GT40 cars in his early days later he was involved with a LM team
    Cozy Powell had a large car collection. He had a fatal accident in his SAAB 900 while he was talking to his girlfriend on the mobile phone at over 100mph ..
    Attached Images Attached Images