Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Grant, screaming eagle? At the risk of highjacking the thread, let me ask you something. People used to ask me all the time here in Queensland how can I not race? or why am I not racing anymore. One of the reasons I never felt as though i needed to was because of my Ducati. Riding a bike up in the foothills here in northern Brisbane is a little like my racing was. I don't go very fast on the road, just keep up a nice momentum and take my 'Car racing lines' through the corners. Done right it is as good for the soul as getting a pole position. You stop for a coffee and a chat so it is sociable. Actually it is amazing the amount of times Bike people have commented on the lines I take. I would not have thought there would be much difference, but apparently there is.
    Question, do you share this bike connection? Most of my old racing buddies look at me rather strangely when you try to explain. I don't even bother anymore. Had a few people trying to entice me to look at the Aust Tranz Am class. The hot shots of this class I used to race against in Historic group NC with my GTHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Grant, screaming eagle? At the risk of highjacking the thread, let me ask you something. People used to ask me all the time here in Queensland how can I not race? or why am I not racing anymore. One of the reasons I never felt as though i needed to was because of my Ducati. Riding a bike up in the foothills here in northern Brisbane is a little like my racing was. I don't go very fast on the road, just keep up a nice momentum and take my 'Car racing lines' through the corners. Done right it is as good for the soul as getting a pole position. You stop for a coffee and a chat so it is sociable. Actually it is amazing the amount of times Bike people have commented on the lines I take. I would not have thought there would be much difference, but apparently there is.
    Question, do you share this bike connection? Most of my old racing buddies look at me rather strangely when you try to explain. I don't even bother anymore. Had a few people trying to entice me to look at the Aust Tranz Am class. The hot shots of this class I used to race against in Historic group NC with my GTHO.
    If you need to explain, they would'nt understand !!!!!!

Parnelli , yeessssss I understand what Steve is saying & you . SSooooooooo looking forwards to the new lease of life ... I really do relate ..... I did ride bikes in my teen & loved them , my family was against them ????

Quote Originally Posted by Parnelli View Post
    If you need to explain, they would'nt understand !!!!!!
    I guess that says it all!

Steve, I could not agree more , oddly enough though Gary & I had this same convo last week, he is over it he says [driving] & probably did more racing than us [perhaps] , eg doing a few bathursts , sharing drive with Dick J , & Greame Croz etc at a higher level not to mean any one is better than any one else as ego does play a part, I still have the hankering & I feel it never leaves our physiology once its ingrained from the excitements of being at the right end as you & I have been.
    But Steve you are right re the Bike as well, this helps to get it out of our system there is that hill called the Kaimai Ranges , all new & reshaped seal since you were here last , you probably drove over it on your way to B/Park or you may have gone through Waihi, any way the bike people say that hill is the best in NZ to go up & get the corners correct [not speeding up but flowing]as you say it gives abuzz.
    Steve my bike does not arrive until next month , hot rod Harley lol, I realize it is not the best handling with the big rear tyre, I am only just getting my bike licence , but better get my confidence [by law] on a little bike first , pitty you were not here we could go for a ride , not to mention us going for a skid in yr GTHO ???