Thread: New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing (2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2015 is Howden Ganley, 2016 is Porsche. Porsches are too common and too similar for me. Ferrari has an attraction that few other marques can emulate. Porsche only did F1 in the 1.5 litre formula from 1961 - 1966 and only produced two car models. One (slow) four cylinder ex F2 car and one 8 cylinder. I think they won just one F1 race, but happy to be corrected.

Ferrari have been involved in F1 from day 1 and have produced literally dozens of iconic F1 cars. One F1 1500cc Porsche would not have the spectator pulling power that the Ferrari F1 cars obviously had, judging by the crowd response.

Sorry Powder, but it is easy enough to watch the cars and races you want over a three day period. Eight races a day? Boring. Very boring. You hike to one part of the track then have to hike back again 8 times to fill in the day? I think not.

Many drivers do not like the two or three day meetings simply because there is TOO MUCH hanging around. They are there from 8am and if they are in the last race, they are hanging around for 9 hours for two 12 minute races. At a one day meeting, a driver gets one practice and three races and at least 50% prefer that - and yes, this is taken from a poll of all driver in our series, not just an opinion.

Spreading the Festival over three days, plus a day for documentation and scrutineering, often puts off those who are working for a living too.

Custaxie, if you want to see more of the track in one go, rent an apartment!

I haven't yet been to Highland Park but at 4.1kms long, much of it is out of sight altogether... And Powder, a small grid on a long track makes it even worse for paying spectators. I am not paying to see empty tarseal whilst a procession of six cars circulates, getting further and further spaced out. That isn't racing. It doesn't help when the attrition rate is high either - which it usually is. I suggest you look at the finishing numbers for the last races of weekend 1.

Might just as well speed group the cars and send 45 cars out for a tour and let us see 400 different cars. (Only kidding...)

Monaco Historics 2012, penned into one section of the track; stuck behind tall catch fencing or too far from the track to get a clear pic; not even being allowed to go from one quarter full grandstand to another; not being allowed into the paddock without an extra pass; constant 40 minute waits in the hot sun, with nothing happening on track (other than ViPs being ferried around), means I'd never ever go back.

The HD Festival may not be perfect, but I'd rather spectate there than Pukekohe - or Monaco.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.