Thread: New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing (2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fair comment, but cars on straights - even if it is the start/finish line - don't appeal as much as when they are cornering. The lack of catch fencing on most of the corners at HD is a major attraction for me. The only track that I have seen that comes near in recent times is Goodwood - and that is a pre 1966 track...

All street races suffer from the limited view problem yet probably the best race I have ever seen televised, was the first Wellington Street race.

We probably have to accept that (road) race tracks are for drivers first, spectators second.

Speedway and oval racing are different forms of motorsport sport altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post

All street races suffer from the limited view problem yet probably the best race I have ever seen televised, was the first Wellington Street race.

Ray, that's probably because it didn't have catch fencing as such (ALL!) and a block wall waist height made of square concrete blocks was the pitlane wall. I was a flag marshall at this event at the hairpin after the start/finish line. We were stood on a 4' square concrete block on the inside of the corner and the edges of the tracks were defined by railway sleepers!