Thread: Ian "Red" Dawson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The first meeting held was on December 3rd, 1967. There was a big issue with the seal, I understood at the time that they had economised and used cold mix and the tyres were tearing it up : Palmer's M4A smashed its mirrors with flying seal. They fixed it up pretty smartly and the Dec 30th international with Norm Beechey as the star attraction was a blinder, as you can see from the pics above there was a ripping crowd in.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    The first meeting held was on December 3rd, 1967. There was a big issue with the seal, I understood at the time that they had economised and used cold mix and the tyres were tearing it up : Palmer's M4A smashed its mirrors with flying seal. They fixed it up pretty smartly and the Dec 30th international with Norm Beechey as the star attraction was a blinder, as you can see from the pics above there was a ripping crowd in.
    December 3rd 1967 was also the opening meeting for the Timaru Motor Raceway as it too had been postponed from the previous week because of a downpour which had flooded the infield area of the circuit. Red was the star attraction with the Mustang staying over for the week and keeping many entertained. The racing between he and Gary Sprague in the Anglia set the tone for meetings to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    December 3rd 1967 was also the opening meeting for the Timaru Motor Raceway as it too had been postponed from the previous week because of a downpour which had flooded the infield area of the circuit. Red was the star attraction with the Mustang staying over for the week and keeping many entertained. The racing between he and Gary Sprague in the Anglia set the tone for meetings to follow.
    I was at that meeting as an enthusiastic spectator. At a later date I was told, or read, that Red was enticed to that meeting by substantial appearance money. However the cheque was never cashed. When Red was approached about what had happened to the cheque he replied that he had such a good time at Levels that he had framed the cheque and it was hanging on his wall. Whether that is true or just urban legend I have no idea, but I took it as gospel at the time.