Thread: Modified 70s and 80s Saloons - Picture Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Who styled the flares on the McElrea Cortina? The flares on this car always looked good, and overall this was one of the nicer proportioned cars of the era.
    I did, I built the car literally from the ground up starting in 77 or whenever the MKIV Cortina was introduced. I borrowed the W/Shop manuals off Dennis Latty @ Latty Ford , Gore. & compared the floorpan info for MK3/MKIV, they are/were both the same, then obtained a MK3 shell & removed all that was not compatible with MKIV from it, around the same time a local Vet rolled his new MKIV which was written off due to excessive panel damage & I got most of what was good of the shell & bought new roof, rear guards etc to make up balance of shell, the guards/flares you mention were made by bringing out the original arch & filling in the gaps etc then pulling a set of molds off that... molds were made in such manner that the LF could be adapted & used on RR & vice versa so I only needed two molds. Doors were made from alloy & I must confess to a minor stuff up in that dept, I did not look closely enough @ the MKIV & ended up with a bit of a 'dip' @ the B pillar rather than the straight thru of the MKIV. made mold for hood/bonnet with scoop & rolled up alloy boot lid. Same Boss 302/trans/diff from my earlier MK2 Cortina was used in this car as well.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 08-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.