Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well put Tony. My take on "period correct" is as close to it as modern regulations and technology will allow.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Well put Tony. My take on "period correct" is as close to it as modern regulations and technology will allow.
    Exactly and the more the better if the original is no longer with us like the Custaxie.

And just to clarify something I said about Georges car - I would rather see it with Georges name on it than not see it at all but I still don't see the problem with keeping a few of the vulnerable hens teeth original parts out of a car like that IF newer replacement parts could bolt straight in. You have less chance of diminishing its true value in the case of an oops which can happen.

Would be great to see a Galaxie one day. Was there not a Zephyr Corvette replica built a couple of years back. Wonder where it is.
    Last edited by TonyG; 01-22-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Well hang on a minute Tony, isn't this a race car forum where people can share stories, moments and photos of race cars, people and days gone by and also of current events for these cars. Surely people that comment on here are doing so because they have a passion for it all. I haven't seen any comments on here that criticize any of the organizers like Ray, Dale or John. On the other hand I dont think we should all dance around in a circle and sing koom by ya. There have been a lot of good ideas that have been picked up and used on this Forum and of course the great thing about humans is the way they analyse things, take them apart and look at them from all different angles. Things may not always be as they appear. For instance I am sure that if you actually new me back then,you would have been a bit more charitable with your comments that I was more often on the end of a tow rope, because I was just a broken ass electrician (still am) who bought a race car at 21 (that cost over 1/2 the price of an average house!) with no mechanical or engineering knowledge, on an Electricians wage but just a heap of enthusiasm. The car came with 40 old tires that Jim had used and that is all I used in fact I was so broke that I just had to miss some rounds because I couldn't afford the entry fees or the fuel to run it. Then to top it all off the poor bloody thing had to rely on me to build the engine as I learnt and I had nobody offer to build the engine for me or to show me what to do or people watching in the stands who liked to see the car run instead of watching it come in on a tow rope come over and offer me some financial help to keep me going. You probably also didn't know that I approached Sidchrome just like when I restored the car and got the same answer as then. So I paid all the bills just like I have always done and you know what I thought F--- Sidchrome I own the car so I will put my name on the car. I have 24 V8 cars that I race in different classes and I have never had what you would call a proper sponsor so as far as I am concerned Sponsors can go take a running F-- at themselves. I have been motor racing since I was 17, thats 42 years ago so you see you get a little cynical about things like that. Yep your right I am not one bit PC, but I tell you what I figure is I have earnt my right to make the odd comment on these sort of things! Do you think that's fair?
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 01-22-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Well hang on a minute Tony, isn't this a race car forum where people can share stories, moments and photos of race cars, people and days gone by and also of current events for these cars. Surely people that comment on here are doing so because they have a passion for it all. I haven't seen any comments on here that criticize any of the organizers like Ray, Dale or John. On the other hand I dont think we should all dance around in a circle and sing koom by ya. There have been a lot of good ideas that have been picked up and used on this Forum and of course the great thing about humans is the way they analyse things, take them apart and look at them from all different angles. Things may not always be as they appear. For instance I am sure that if you actually new me back then,you would have been a bit more charitable with your comments that I was more often on the end of a tow rope, because I was just a broken ass electrician (still am) who bought a race car at 21 (that cost over 1/2 the price of an average house!) with no mechanical or engineering knowledge, on an Electricians wage but just a heap of enthusiasm. The car came with 40 old tires that Jim had used and that is all I used in fact I was so broke that I just had to miss some rounds because I couldn't afford the entry fees or the fuel to run it. Then to top it all off the poor bloody thing had to rely on me to build the engine as I learnt and I had nobody offer to build the engine for me or to show me what to do or people watching in the stands who liked to see the car run instead of watching it come in on a tow rope come over and offer me some financial help to keep me going. You probably also didn't know that I approached Sidchrome just like when I restored the car and got the same answer as then. So I paid all the bills just like I have always done and you know what I thought F--- Sidchrome I own the car so I will put my name on the car. I have 24 V8 cars that I race in different classes and I have never had what you would call a proper sponsor so as far as I am concerned Sponsors can go take a running F-- at themselves. I have been motor racing since I was 17, thats 42 years ago so you see you get a little cynical about things like that. Yep your right I am not one bit PC, but I tell you what I figure is I have earnt my right to make the odd comment on these sort of things! Do you think that's fair?
    Well said George,this Tony has been talking to his laptop for too long he needs to go away and read up a little, before he starts to talk about cars like yours and the Custaxie of 1967 and the one we see today,there were too mags that ran storys on Cus 2 Classic Driver and New Zealand Classic Car.We all want to see all these old cars and look alike ones also out there don't we,today most meetings I go to are boring we need to put the class of racing we had back in we had in the so called good old days remove the bullshit wording and lets go racing.