Thread: Motoring pics Vintage cars - early years, events from 1960's 70's and 80's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Roger
    The port you mention was probably Waikokopu on the Mahia Peninsula. It was a thriving port in the days of the little 'Coasters'-small vessels that served small coastal settlements.
    There is little left of it now, but the shed in the photo looks familiar-I suspect it may still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Roger
    The port you mention was probably Waikokopu on the Mahia Peninsula. It was a thriving port in the days of the little 'Coasters'-small vessels that served small coastal settlements.
    There is little left of it now, but the shed in the photo looks familiar-I suspect it may still be there.
    rf84 have a photo of the " wharf " a very basic one.. will post it, thanks for the details, we stayed with my then wife's relatives in a small village near Gisborne and they told us about the Mahia area

Mahia and the wharf - not a car I know, but got there in one

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    rf84 have a photo of the " wharf " a very basic one.. will post it, thanks for the details, we stayed with my then wife's relatives in a small village near Gisborne and they told us about the Mahia area
    The shed again as commented on by rf84, quote
    " The port you mention was probably Waikokopu on the Mahia Peninsula. It was a thriving port in the days of the little 'Coasters'-small vessels that served small coastal settlements.
    There is little left of it now, but the shed in the photo looks familiar-I suspect it may still be there. "

Name:  Vintage Rally 1971 #9, My Mini - 1966 the road trip CCI10012016_0003 (780x800).jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  139.6 KB

the wharf at the end of the road that goes through the shed ' warehouse / cargo shed ' ..
    Name:  Vintage Rally 1971 #10 - the wharf !! .CCI12012016.jpg
Views: 2812
Size:  157.3 KB