Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was around at the time and was particularly interested in Gordon Brown’s Ford Ten special as I also utilised a Ruckstell rear end in my Fiat Special. I would say1947 is correct. I recall, that a full article on the car was published in the first or second issue of a short lived sports car magazine at the time and it was this that promoted my interest.

To the best of my memory Gordon Brown built only one car, which first off amounted to the sole means of family and personal transport. Fairly promptly he acquired an early Ford V8 saloon and also used this in competition. Incidentally, as was then usual the special was never trailered. Whatever, the car was the first of an ongoing series and certainly deserves recognition.

Gordon Brown Special -

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I was around at the time and was particularly interested in Gordon Brown’s Ford Ten special as I also utilised a Ruckstell rear end in my Fiat Special. I would say1947 is correct. I recall, that a full article on the car was published in the first or second issue of a short lived sports car magazine at the time and it was this that promoted my interest.

To the best of my memory Gordon Brown built only one car, which first off amounted to the sole means of family and personal transport. Fairly promptly he acquired an early Ford V8 saloon and also used this in competition. Incidentally, as was then usual the special was never trailered. Whatever, the car was the first of an ongoing series and certainly deserves recognition.
    Trevor, thanks for your comments, always good information .. my sister showed Eddie Dowding the article, as he remembered Gordon and his car too !!. Not sure if it has been mentioned but Jack Boot, who owned the Riley Bugatti, or was Bugatti Riley, was Eddie's brother-in-law and my Uncle too!!. Jack passed away before I knew him though, too young the date of the GBS is my year of birth, 1947 is quite a while ago, but 1916, Gordon's year of birth even more so..

Note ; Jack Boot passed away in February 1945 - so well before I arrived.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-22-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Jack Boot passing 1945 ..