Thread: The Peter Bruin Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unfortunately a number of years ago boxes of Peter's slides taken when he was working with McLaren in the USA were stolen from the back of his vehicle. But, yes the rest of his photos are safe.

Maybe Roger, for those who may not know, could you write a little about Peter's other achievments?
    Last edited by pallmall; 10-14-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Maybe Roger, for those who may not know, could you write a little about Peter's other achievments?
    I'll try and get something together but I don't know detail of all of Peter's extensive motor sport involvement. Because he lived and worked locally we use to catch up in his workshop (he worked from home in later years) as he and I were interested in old Jaguars and he did some fabrication work on my race cars and some magnesium welding for me. His fabrication and welding was superb and even recently an old race mechanic was working on one of my cars and spotted a weld and said "only Peter Bruin could have done that". When he passed on, I bought a few trailer loads of tools, parts and race car jigs off his wife in order to essentially preserve the many jigs for old Cooper, Lotus, Brabham etc race cars.
    From what I know Peter had a history with McLaren in both the UK and the US. He also built the first VW engined speedway midget which Barry Butterworth drove and Peter was very proud of this car and had a number of photos of it on his wall.
    He was a very low key guy who did not boast about his achievements but he was recognised as one of the best fabricators around and he was sort out by overseas owners to do fabrication work on their cars. I recollect seeing him reconstruct 1960's single seater chassis that looked exactly like they were in period and one of his last jobs was rebuilding a McLaren CanAm monocoque.
    He was a very clever guy.